|Javvarisi Semiya Paal Payasam|
|Sago Vermicelli Paal Payasam Recipe|
Recipe - Amma
Prep time - 10 mins
Cook time - 10 mins
Serves - 6
Serving suggestion - as a dessert
Semiya/ vermicelli - 1/4 cup
Javvarisi/ Sago - 1/2 cup (small partly transparent variety)
Milk - 4 cups, reduced to 70% quantity (preferably full fat or skimmed)
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Ghee - 4 tsp
Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
Cashew - 8 no
Raisins - 10 no
Water - 2 cup (to cook sago & vermicelli)
1. In a dry pan/ skillet heat 1 tsp ghee roast the sago in medium flame for 3 minutes and set aside.
2. In the same pan add 1 tsp ghee roast the vermicelli/ semiya for 3 minutes in medium flame and set aside.
3. In a pan boil 1 cup water add the roasted sago and cook until they turn soft, discard the water and set aside.
4. In the same pan boil 1 cup water and cook the semiya/vermicelli until soft, discard the water and set aside.
5. Add the cooked sago and vermicelli to the reduced milk and mix well along with sugar & cardamom powder. Taste to check the sweetness.
6. Reduce the flame and let it cook for 3-4 minutes. In a tempering pan heat remaining ghee and fry the cashews until golden add this to the payasam. Repeat the same for the raisins.
7. Switch off. Serve warm/ cold as a dessert.
1. Its better to boil semiya and sago separately as they both get cooked in a different time, roasting them in ghee helps them to not stick and clump together.
2. Get small variety of sago to so instant payasam, if you are using big variety it might need soaking time of 1-2 hrs. Also if you are soaking in water skip the roasting in ghee step.
3. You can add saffron strands / use jaggery to make the same payasam its upto your preference.
GULKAND ROSE PAYASAM
PARUPPU/ DAL PAYASAM
WHEAT RAVA PAYASAM
BANANA SAGO PAYASAM
VARAGU ( MILLET) PAYASAM
CHOCOLATE RICE KHEER