Although its summer we had few showers here and there, its really a blessing in terms of weather with some chill breeze during the evenings. Its been a while since I stirred up something sweet so I was pondering on what to make. I found rose syrup and gulkand, planned to make something simple and ended up in this Phirini which is more like milk payasam but in a a little thick form. You can make it plain too, but I love the flavor of rose and this is sure a great dessert to please yourself and others :-)
Phirni is a luscious dessert made with milk, rice/rice flour, nuts, sugar and flavoring. It has its roots from Middle East later an Indian favorite, most common in North India. A quick dessert to do and must be refrigerated to be enjoyed later. Can be made before hand and served garnished with nuts.
GULKAND PHIRNI (RICE PUDDING) RECIPE
Recipe Source - Own
Prep time - 5 mins
Cook time - 10 mins
Chill time - 3 hours
Serves - 7 generously
Milk - 1 liter +4 tbsp milk separated in a cup
Rice flour - 2-3 tbsp (depending on thickness of phirni)
Rose Syrup - 2 tbsp
Rose Essence - 1 tsp
Gulkand Jam - 2 tbsp
Nuts - 2 tbsp
- Boil milk in a pan and reduce it to 3/4th quantity. Take 3 tbsp of hot milk in a bowl and mix the rice flour to a thin consistency Add this to the boiling milk in low flame. Keep stirring for 5-6 minutes.
- Add sugar, rose syrup and gulkand mix well. Bring it to room temperature and refrigerate for 3 hours minimum.
Garnish with nuts and serve chill
- Take care while adding the diluted rice flour mix, making sure there is no lumps, else the phiri will turn lumpy
- Add cardamom powder if you want, the rose essence on its own gives lots of flavor
- If you want to use rice instead of rice flour, soak basmathi rice 1/4 cup (3 hrs) for 1 cup milk and grind it along with water to form a paste