|Vendhaya Keerai Sambar|
Fenugreek is well known for its benefits to control diabetics and cholestrol. Fenugreek leaves are said to aid digestion, heart health, hernia, breast feeding, cure acid reflex (heartburn), skin health and so on. Add these leaves to your diet and enjoy the goodness of them.
|Methi Leaves | Vendhaya Keerai|
Recipe Source - Own
Prep time - 10 mins
Cook time - 15 mins
Serves - 3-4 generously
Serving suggestion - White rice, poriyal/stirfry and appalam
To cook dal -
Toor Dal - 1/4 cup
Water - 1 and 1/2 cup
Turmeric powder - 1/3 tsp
Asefotedia/ Hing - 1 generous pinch
Oil - 2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin/ Jeera - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 spring (8-10 leaves)
Green chilli - 3 nos
Onion - 1 medium finely chopped
Tomato - 1 medium finely chopped
Fenugreek/ Vendhaya leaves - 1/4 bunch
Sambar pwoder - 3 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1/3 tsp
Tamarind paste - 1 tsp
Corriander leaves - 1 tbsp finely chopped to garnish
Salt - to taste
1. Pressure cook dal for 4 whistles until fully cooked. Switch off and let the pressure gradually settle. Open the lid and using a wooden ladle mash the dal 3-4 times.
2. In a wide pan heat oil, add the mustard seeds, let it splutter, now add the cumin/jeera and once it sizzles add the green chilli, onions and sauté for 2 minutes.
3. Now add tomato and salt cook for 2 minutes until mushy.
4. Add in the chopped methi leaves and cook in medium flame covered for 2 minutes until the leaves wilt.
5. Add the cooked dal, spices and tamarind paste. Cook in medium for 5 minutes.
6. Check for spice level and switch off. Garnish with corriander leaves and serve with piping hot rice with a tsp of ghee.
|Methi Leaves Sambar|
1. I usually stir fry the greens and mix in the dal. That way the greens hold their lovely colour.
2. You can use regular homemade or store bought sambar powder.
3. When I add greens I love to make the sambar thick instead of thin, adjust according to your taste and preference.
4. You can go ahead and add veggies too but I love to make it minimalistic with just the greens.
LEARN HOW TO MAKE SOUTH INDIAN RECIPES
BRINJAL KARA KUZHAMBHU