Vadakari and Idly is one of Appa's favorite breakfast and like him I also have inherited the taste for this yummy and satisfying combination. Mind you this will make you full and may be your might have a late lunch ;-) Although this breakfast is available in most restaurants and tiffen centers in Tamil Nadu I still love only the one done at home. Amma makes the best vadakari according to me, if its poori's and masala dosa I agree that eating out is fine but for this particular recipe it has to be one made at home. Usually done with left over masala vadas, the taste is quite exquisite, but need to make a confession here Amma makes them with fresh vadas. Come on how can there be left over vadas in the first place ? :P
Recipe Source ~ Amma
Serves ~ 3 generously
Cook & Prep time ~ 40 mins
Serving Suggestion ~ Idly, Dosa, Appam
Onion - 1 large - chopped fine
Tomato - 2 large - chopped
Green chili - 2-3 (Adjust according to spice tolerance)
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
Red chili powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 2 tsp
Jeera powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Coriander / mint leaves - few chopped, to garnish
Oil - 2 tbsp/ left over oil after frying vadas
Cinnamon - 1" piece
Bay leaf - 1-2
Cardamom - 3-4
Cloves - 3-4
Curry leaves - 1 spring
Channa dal - 1 cup (soak for 1 hour)
Sombu - 1 and 1/2 tsp
Red chilies - 2 large
Salt - to taste
- Grind all ingredients under to grind without any water. Check for salt, set aside
- Keep a pan on stove shallow fry vadas with less oil. You don't have to do the traditional big big vadas small mini ones will do. Once they are fully cooked, remove them using a slotted spoon and drain excess oil on tissue paper.
- Keep the same pan and in the left over oil do the seasoning.
- Add onions and fry till they turn transparent. Add the tomatoes and the green chillies and cook for another 2 to 3 mts.
- Add the masala powders and mix well. Add 1 cup of water and cook.
- When it boils well add the vadas and let it simmer for 2 minutes
Serve hot along with idlies, dosa or appam
- You can follow the same recipe with left over masals vadas, although amma and me love to do them with freshly done vadas
- Make sure the vadas are coarsely mashed or torn and then added to the curry.
- Adding mint leaves at the end gives additional flavor.