|Amma's Mutton Biryani Recipe|
|South Indian Mutton Biryani Recipe|
Recipe Source - Amma
Prep time - Marinating mutton either overnight/ minimum 1 hour
Cook time - 15 mins
Serves - 3-4 people generously
Serving suggestion - along with onion raita, brinjal pachadi
Basmathi Rice - 2 cups
Water - 3 cups
Mutton / Goat - 1/2 kg
Onion - 2 large, sliced
Tomato - 3 large, sliced
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
Green chilli - 4 no
Mint & corriander leaves - 3/4 cup chopped
Corriander powder - 2 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Jeera powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam masala powder - 1/2 tsp
Biryani Masala - 1 tsp
Salt - to tate
Lemon juice - from 1 lemon (medium sized)
Curd - 1 tbsp
Bay leaf - 1
Cinnamon - 2 sticks
Cardamom - 2
Cloves - 2
Star anise - 1
Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
Mace - 2
Marination (minimum 3 hrs - max overnight)
Mutton - 1/2 kg
Curd - 1 tbsp
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1/3 tsp
1. Wash basmathi rice in cold water 3-4 times, soak in cold water for 30 mins.
2. Pressure cook the marinated mutton for 5- 6 whistles or 15 mins (adjust according to your usual cooking, we love our meat to be soft and tender). Switch off and set aside.
2. In a wide heavy bottom pan heat oil, add the whole spices one by one - Bay leaf, fennel, cardamom, cinnamom, cloves, mace, star anise. Wait for 10-15 seconds for it to sizzle and release all the aroma.
4. Add onions and saute for 3-4 minutes until they have a golden tint. Add the green chillis and tomoto sprinkle some salt and saute. Cook covered for 3 minutes and wait until its cooked and mushy.
5. Now add the spice powders - red chilli powder, corriander powder, biryani masala, jeera powder and mix well. Add in half of the mint and corriander leaves, beaten curd and cook for 1 minute covered.
6. Add the cooked mutton and its juices if any. Mix well bring it to a boil. Add 3 cups water (since you have more mutton broth from the cooked meat). Bring this to a boil.
7. Drain the soaking rice and once the water is boiling add the rice. Mix well, check for salt and spices.
8. Sprinkle the left over mint leaves & corriander leaves mix well. Cook covered in medium flame for 4 minutes.
9. Lower the flame and place a dosa skillet and keep the biryani pan over it. Cook further in simmer for 8 minutes. Switch off. After 10 minutes open the pan and sprinkle the lemon juice.
10. Serve hot along with raita.
|Tamil style Mutton/Goat Biryani|
1. I used 2 cups rice, and 3 cups water. If you have some water/ stock left from the pressure cooked mutton adjust the water measurements accordingly.
2. Amma usually pressure cooks the mutton and then adds it to cook the biryani. You can directly add the marinated mutton to the rice and cook together.
3. If using the pressure cooker to make this biryani, make sure to keep a skillet and the pan over it. You can cook the biryani for 3 whistles / 10 minutes.
4. Overnight marination of the meat makes it softer and tender. It also adds amazing flavour to the biryani.
5. The same recipe can be used to make a chicken biryani.
RESTAURANT STYLE CHICKEN BIRYANI
EGG DUM BIRYANI
HYDERABADI MUTTON BIRYANI
HYDERABADI VEGETABLE BIRYANI
CHICKEN BIRYANI - AMMA'S RECIPE
EASY CHICKEN DUM BIRYANI
MIRCHI KA SALAN
KERALA CHICKEN ROAST