|Dal Tadka Recipe|
DAL TADKA RECIPE | RESTAURANT STYLE DAL TADKA
Recipe Source - Own
Serves - 3 generously
Prep time - 10 mins
Cook time - 10 mins
Serving suggestion - Rice, roti or chappathi
Toor dal - 1/3 cup
Moong dal - 1/3 cup (alternate with masoor dal)
Onion - 1 large, finely chopped
Tomato - 1 large, chopped
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Garam masala - 1/3 tsp
Green chillis - 4 nos
Garlic & ginger - 2 pieces each minced
Corriander leaves - 1 tbsp chopped to garnish
Oil - 1 tbsp
Ghee - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin/ jeera - 1/2 tsp
Asefotedia / Hing - 1 pinch
Curry leaves - 5 nos
1. In a pressure cooker add dal, 1 cup water, turmeric, tomato and pressure cook for 3 hisses or for 10 minutes.
2. In a wide pan heat the oil and ghee temper the mustard seeds, cumin, red dry chilli and curry leaves. Add in the asefotedia and garlic saute for few seconds. Now add in the green chilli and onions saute until transparent.
3. Add the cooked dal, garam masala and corriander leaves let it cook for 3 minutes. switch off.
Serve warm with rice or roti.
|North Indian Dal Recipe|
1. You can use any combination of dal, here I have used toor and moong, you can use channa dal or masoor dal too.
2. Adding ghee is optional but it enhances the flavour.
3. The green chillis add heat to the curry, it does not heat up and spice up curry too much to make it really hot and spicy.
4. You can also temper in the end and top the dal like how I have done in the pictures above.
5. Adding garlic and ginger also gives a lovely flavour to the dal, if you have special food habits you can skip them too.
OTHER DAL / LENTIL RECIPES
CHOW CHOW KOOTU
MOONG DAL CHUTNEY
MASOOR DAL KOOTU
RIDGE GOURD KOOTU
RED SPINACH MANGO CURRY
CHANNA DAL HALWA