As the world celebrates Women's Day today I would also love to share my wishes to all the lovely women in my life ~ my mom, my sisters, my friends, my cousins and every lovely reader. This is my wish for all of you today
Be bold. Be true. Be kind. Be you.
Happy Women's Day !!!
Verdict ~ Channa Dal Halwa was super flavorful and melt in your mouth and we kept having more and more. Taste wise I felt it was similar to poli stuffing and close to sweet pongal taste.
Serves ~ 2 generously
Cook & Prep time ~ 30 mins
1/2 Cup chana Dal/gram Dal/kadalai Paruppu
1/2 Cup ghee
1/4 Cup granulated white sugar
1-1/4 Cup milk (I used fatless)
2-3 cardamom pods, crushed
6-7 almonds and cashew nuts (chopped)
- Wash and Soak dal in 1 Cup water for 4 hours.
- Pressure Cook the soaked dal in 3/4 Cup of water for 4-5 whistles.Remove extra water if any, let it cool down, set aside.
- Mash the dal using the back of spoon to have grainy paste
- Heat ghee in heavy bottom pan.Add mashed dal and fry on medium heat 15 minutes until raw smell does.By now you the will ghee separating from dal.
- Now add 3/4 Cup milk and fry on high heat till it is well absorbed.Then Again add the remaining milk and cook on high flame. Take care not to burn the halwa, Keep stirring frequently.
- Finally add cardamom powder, sugar with chopped almonds and fry on high heat for another 5 minutes.By this the time, the halwa will start leaving the pan, and will come together as you stir.
- Keep a Shallow plate/tray greased with ghee ready, spread some chopped nuts on the plate. Take the halwa off the stove and pour it on the readied plate. Tap with back of spoon gently to spread the halwa.
- If you want to slice it, then wait for 15-20 minutes for the halwa to cool. Cut them into slices and serve warm. Or do like how did and serve it as it is.
- Store the remaining in an air-tight container and keep in refrigerator Before serving re-head in microwave for 15-20 secs