I love all things Chinese, and when its home made I get all excited. Although Chinese food/ buffet is loaded with deep-fried and calories. Simple Chinese cooking can be done at home with few ingredients like this Spaghetti noodles which I tried it the Chinese way. There has been a big fude as to who introduced Spaghetti was it the Chinese or the Italians, I am not joking google it to find your own answer. But what ever be it I love Spaghetti and I love Chinese :-) so here is my own twist.
This Spicy Chicken Spaghetti is quite hot with chili sauce and red chili flakes you can alter it according to your spice tolerance. Nevertheless it tastes absolutely yum !
Chicken - 200 gms (I used boneless thigh)
Spaghetti - 300 gms
Bell peppers - 1 cup (I used red,yellow,green)
Onion - 1 chopped
Tomato - 1 chopped
Garlic - 3 pods, finely minced
Dark Soy sauce - 3 tbsp
Chili sauce - 1 tbsp (depending on heat tolerance)
Chinese spice mix - 1 and 1/2 tbsp
Red chilli flakes - 1 tsp (depending on heat tolerance)
Salt - as per taste
Oil - to stir fry (preferably mustard oil)
- Chop all peppers, onion, tomato, garlic and set aside. Wash the chicken and drain all excess water, marinate with dark soy sauce, chili sauce and salt set aside for 20 mins.
- In a sauce pan boil water, add salt, 1 tsp of oil and add the spaghetti, let it cook for 4-5 minutes until soft. Wash well in cold running water, drain and set aside
- In a wok, heat oil add the mince garlic after 3-4 seconds add the onions saute till translucent, add pinch of salt to avoid it from browning. Add the tomato saute well, cover lid and let it cook until mushy.
- Add the marinated chicken, Chinese spice powder and cook in medium flame sauting every 2 minutes for 6-7 minutes until well cooked and tender
- Now add the peppers saute well until cooked, this would take 2 minutes, check for salt and spice, add the red chili flakes. Now add the cooked spaghetti, saute well for 2-3 minutes until all flavors combine.
Serve hot and enjoy the spicy chicken spaghetti
- I used chicken thighs as they tend to be soft and tender, try to get thighs than breast pieces.
- You can alternate spaghetti with your favorite cooked rice/ noodles
- Adding red chili flakes and chilli sauce is optional, if you want them less spicy
- You can add your favorite veg like carrots, beans, cabbage or even egg
- If you don't have mustard oil use regular cooking oil - sunflower, olive or canola
Check out few of my Chinese favourites below