|Murungakeerai Poriyal Recipe|
Drumstick leaves/ Murungakeerai are one of the most prettiest green varieties that are loaded with health benefits. I love any kind of greens and murungakeerai is no exception. For some reason its so hard to find drumstick leaves in my local market. So this time when I went home, Amma made this simple delicious drumstick leaves stir fry to go with our sambar and rasam. Drumstick leaves poriyal is more chunks with a unique taste and flavour. Its more mild and does not have a strong flavour. I totally love this combo and wanted to share this simple recipe here. Drumstick leaves are used to cure anaemia, thyroid disorder, joint pains, headache, high bp, stomach pain, ulcers, diabetes, diarrhoea and so on.
|Drumstick Leaves/ Murungakeerai Recipes|
Recipe - Own
Prep time - 5 mins
Cook time - 6-7 mins
Serving suggestion - as a side to rice and curry
Murungai keerai/ drumstick leaves - 1 bunch, nearly 2 cups
Shallots / small onions - 2-3 no chopped
Garlic - 2 pods chopped
Turmeric powder - 1 generous pinch
Curry leaves - 4-5 leaves
Jeera/ cumin - 1/2 tsp
Shredded coconut - 2-3 tsp
Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil - 2 tsp
1. In a kadai, heat oil. Splutter the mustard seeds, urad dal, red chilli, curry leaves, garlic, turmeric mix well. Add the drumstick leaves cover and cook for 2-3 minutes in low flame.
2. Now add the garlic, shallots and cook until the raw smell goes away.
2. Add the cumin powder, salt and coconut leaves mix well and cook further for 30 seconds.
3. Serve warm along with white rice and curry.
1. No need to chop drumstick leaves. Chopping greens can make them turn bitter.
2. Adding the garlic, shallots and coconut adds more flavour to the dish.
VENDHAYA KEERAI KARA KUZHAMBHU
VENDHAYA KEERAI SAMBAR
SPINACH COCONUT RICE
RED SPINACH MANGO CURRY
SPINACH SHALLOTS STIR FRY
LOW FAT PALAK KOFTA CURRY
SPINACH CHICKEN- CHINESE