Any South Indian non vegeterain recipe is never complete without a masala fish fry. I am always a fan of fish in any form or kind, but I always find the small fish variety are more tastier and crisp when it comes to fish fry. My favorite combination is sambar/ rasam/ curd rice with fish fry. Most of our weekends never fail without this fish fry recipe. Happy Weekend y'all :-)
This fish fry recipe is almost similar to the Karimeen fish fry recipe that I had posted earlier except for the change in proportion. The best way to serve this fish fry is by frizzling them with lemon juice.
SMALL FISH FRY RECIPE
Marination Time- overnight
Prep time - 5 mins
Cook time - 20-25 mins
Any small fish variety - 8-10 nos
Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
Red Chili - 2 tsp
Corriander - 4 tsp
Ginger garlic paste - 2 tsp
Jeera powder - 1 tsp
Salt- to taste
Oil - to pan fry - approx 4 tbsp
Clean the fishes with cold water along with lime and salt, pat dry and place on a plate.Take all the spice powders along with salt and add the ginger garlic paste and form a thick paste, if required you can add few drops of lime juice. Apply on the fish and leave it in refrigerator overnight for spices to blend. The next day take the fish out and bring it to room temperature (30-40 mins) and then heat pan with oil and place the fish and let it cook on each side for 5 minutes such that the fish is fully cooked. Do not disturb or keep flipping sides.
Serve hot with rice and curry.
- Patting dry the fish is very important if it is soggy the spices will not sit on the fish.
- Make sure you don't add water to form the spice paste, if required use few drops of lime/lemon juice
- Once you decide to fry fish make sure you bring it to room temperature before frying it, else the fish will remain raw and undercooked.
- Do not keep flipping sides of the fish while its cooking, this will only result in under cooked fish and also tend to break. The heat should be in medium-low and not high else the fish will get burnt quickly.
- Marinating the fish overnight is very important for ultimate taste