It was again another weekend and I was busy in the kitchen to stir some recipes. I had a sweet tooth calling hence made this simple apple lapsi which I had bookmarked long back from my dear friend +Preeti Tamilarasan . Since I had all the ingredients in hand I just went ahead with the recipe as I was cooking other recipes alongside. As I was eager to taste the lapsi when it still hot, I burnt my tongue :-( does this happen to you? and later no matter how much I tried to taste this lapsi after it cooled down I still could not actually taste the sweetness... grrrr I was bit bugged and decided to reserve some for myself in the refrigerator to try the next day. And to my surprise it was too good. For all those you do not what lapsi is its a famous Rajasthani sweet usually done to feast on important occasions like festivals, marriage feasts and also house warming. Since all the ingredients are easily found in South India its something we all ought to try. I can say that its a good counter part to the Rava Kesari that is quite famous in South India. But nevertheless both kesari and lapsi have their uniqueness in flavour and texture.
APPLE LAPSI RECIPE
Recipe Source - here
Serves ~ 4 generously
Cook & Prep time ~ under 20 mins
1 cup Daliya (Bulgar / Broken Wheat / Godhumai Rava)
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup apple shredded
2-3 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
1 tsp cardamom powder
3 cup warm water
dry nuts - to garnish
- In a wide non stick pan heat ghee, roast dry nuts in ghee, set aside. Now add the wheat rava to it and stir well on low flame for 5-8 mins till nice aroma comes.
- Add water to it and stir frequently on medium flame. Let it cook on low flame for 10 mins till daliya is cooked.
- Add sugar and cardamom seeds powder to it. Mix well everything and cook for another 5 mins.
- Now add shredded apple and coo further for 5 mins. Remove from the heat once it starts leaving the sides of pan. Serve hot or cold.
- Roasting wheat rava/ daliya is very important take care to take time and roast for atleast 8-10 minutes under low flame to avoid it from getting burnt
- Personally I loved to enjoy this lapsi when cold or in room temperature
- You can also add puréed apple or any other fruit / veg (carrots, beets)