'An Apple a day keeps the doctor away', we all know this but still tell me how many of us have an apple a day? Even I don't, so the other day I had this reader who requested me for a different oats porridge recipe, since I had already posted a savoury version of oats porridge - Masala Oats, I thought why not post a sweeter version along with fruit. This is sure a quick and simple recipe, you can even serve it for kids. Apple tend to have a natural sugar and I have partially cooked it along with oats and milk to have a sweetened yet fragrant taste. Topping nuts on this oats add a lovely crunch to this porridge, I love to have this warm and even cold both ways it tastes amazing.
Recipe Source - Own
Serves - 2
Prep & cook time - under 5 mins
Red Apple/ Custard apple - 1 large, grated along with skin
Quick cooking oats - 3 tbsp
Milk - 5 tbsp
Water - 1/4 cup
Honey - for sweetening (optional)
Chopped almonds or any nuts - to garnish (recommended)
- In a saucepan heat water, add the oats and let it cook on a medium-high flame as the oats becomes thick around 2 mins add the grated apple to it and let it simmer.
- Now add warm milk to this and let it cook for another minute. Switch off
- Serve topped with honey and nuts
- Partial cooking of the apple along with oats gives a natural sweetening
- For more flavour you can add cinnamon but I loved the natural apple flavour t the porridge
- You can add your favourite nuts, dry fruits, granola or muesli for an extra crunch