|Oats Indian Breakfast recipe|
Oats Puttu, a perfect light breakfast recipe that is delicious and healthy at the same time. I love eating oats in any form, yes you heard me right I love oats and always try to incorporate oats into our diet. When I saw this recipe I had to try it and I instantly fell in love with it. Although I don't have a puttu maker I did steam cook the puttu in my cooker. Nevertheless the taste was so good I could not taste the flour of oats and something about this recipe the puttu is so soft and yummy. I am sharing a sweet version today and refer notes to find a savory alternative. For more delicious oats recipes check out the end of this post :)
|Oats Puttu Recipe|
|Oats Indian Recipe|
OATS PUTTU | OATS INDIAN BREAKFAST RECIPE
Recipe Source - Preeti
Prep time - 10 mins
Cook time - 10 mins
Serves - 2-3 generously
Serving suggestion - banana, sugar or curry
Rolled oats - 1 cup
Rice flour / Puttu Maavu- 1 cup
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Hot water - as required to mix puttu
Shredded coconut - 1/4-1/2 cup
Cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp
Sugar - as required (optional)
Banana - 1 (optional)
1. In a pan on medium flame dry roast the rolled oats for 2-3 minutes until the oats releases a lovely fragrant toasted aroma. If using quick oats dry roast for under a minute in medium flame. Switch off cool down the oats and grind into a fine powder.
2. In a bowl combine the powdered oats, rice flour and salt, mix until combined.
3. Slowly add 2 tbsp of hot water at a time and rub into the flour mix using your hands.
4. Keep adding 2 tbsp of water until the flour in warm well mixed and moist so that when you press the flour with your palms it forms a shape.
5. Now pulse the flour in a mixie to remove lumps.
6. Mix the shredded fresh coconut into the oats mixture.
7. In a cooker boil water and place the bowl inside and cover the lid, do not use a whistle. Let the puttu steam cook for 10 minutes. Switch off and serve hot with sugar cardamom powder and banana.
1. I served the puttu with sugar and banana. If you are diabetic or prefer to skip sugar you can serve puttu with any spicy Indian curry. Also the puttu can be made into a upma by tempering mustard seeds, channa dal, urad dal, curry leaves and green chilli.
2. Original recipe calls for quick oats but I used rolled oats. The only difference is while using rolled oats dry roast the oats for 3 minutes and then powder it.
3. Pulsing the prepared oats puttu powder helps to remove the lumps in the puttu mix. This is a quick fix and works like a charm.
4. Mix water into the flour mix little by little if you pour a lot of water the result will be a dough and not a moist powder.
5. Always use freshly grated coconut for making puttu.
APPLE OATS PORRIDGE
KEERAI MASALA OATS (DRUMSTICK LEAVES)
OATS COCONUT FRUIT & NUT GRANOLA BARS
CHOCOLATE OATS FLAVORED YOGURT
OATS GRANOLA BARS