|Kathirikai Gothsu Recipe|
|Ven Pongal side dish Brinjal Gothsu|
Recipe Source - Amma
Prep time - 5 mins
Cook time - 10-15 mins
Serves - as a side for 3-4 people
Serving suggestion - as a side to ven pongal, idly, dosa
To Pressure cook
Moong dal - 1/2 cup
Tomato - 1 large, chopped
Brinjal - 2 large, chopped
Hing / Asefotedia - 1 generous pinch
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Oil - 2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Jeera/ cumin - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 spring (8-10 leaves) torn
Green chilli - 2 slit vertically
Hing/ Asefotedia - 1 pinch
Garlic - 3 pods minced
Shallots/ small onions - 8-10 no
Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt- to taste
Corriander leaves - to garnish
1. In a pressure cooker add washed dal, brinjal, tomato, hing, turmeric and 1 and 1/2 cup water and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles/ hisses.
2. Using a wooden ladle mash the cooked dal mix 3-4 times.
3. In a pan heat oil, temper the mustard seeds, cumin, hing, curry leaves, garlic, green chilli, shallots and sauté until the shallots get transparent 1 minute.
4. Add in the cooked dal, salt and red chilli powder and let it boil for 5 minutes.
5. Add chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
6. Serve hot along with ven pongal.
1. You can add more spices like sambar powder for more flavour. I just added red chilli powder.
2. Make sure you use shallots for more flavour, you can also use regular onions too.
OTHER SIDE DISH RECIPES
MINT TOMATO CHUTNEY
MIXED VEGETABLE KURMA
MOONG DAL CHUTNEY