|How to make badusha at home|
BADUSHA | BALUSHAHI RECIPE
Recipe - Own
Serves - 8 badusha
Prep time - 10 mins, rest time - 20 mins
Cook time - 15 mins for entire batch
All purpose flour/ maida - 1 cup
Butter/ ghee - 2 tbsp
Baking powder - 1/2 tsp
Baking soda - 1/4 tsp
Milk - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 1 tsp
Oil - 1-2 cups (for deep frying)
For the sugar syrup
Sugar - 1 cup
water - 1/3 cup
Lemon juice - 1 tsp
1. In a mixing bowl add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and sugar mix well until combined. Alternately you can sieve it for even mixing.
2. Add the melted ghee to this and mix well with hands. Make sure that the ghee gets well spread into the flour mix. The mixture will be dry and not wet.
3. Slowly add in the milk and mix well to form a dough. Do not knead / give too much pressure. The dough would not look perfect but just combined.
5. Cover with a damp cloth/ cling film and set aside for 20 mins.
6. Now divide the dough into 8 parts and roll between palms giving a thumb impression in the centre.
7. Heat oil in a pan and once it is hot, add a pinch of dough. If the ball of dough touches the pan and springs up it is the right temperature to fry the badhusha.
8. Add 1-2 pieces of badusha in the hot oil and move the pan from the fire. Let the badusha cook in the hot oil for 1 minute or so once the sizzling stops move the pan to the flame and fry the other side.
9. Make sure that you repeat the process for all the badusha. Do not over crowd the pan with the badusha else they might stick together.
10. Using a slotted spoon remove the the badusha and line on a kitchen towel to absorb excess oil.
11. In another saucepan add the sugar and water and bring it to a boil. Let the syrup cook until all the sugar is dissolved. Add the lemon juice and switch off.
12. Now add the prepared badusha to the syrup and coat on all sides. Let the badusha rest in the syrup for 10 minutes.
13 Drain excess syrup and place on a plate to set.
Delicious melt in the mouth badushas are ready to eat :-)
|Badusha / Badhusha / Balushahi|
1. Make sure the ghee/ butter is well mixed into the flour before adding milk. Unsalted room temperature butter can be used instead of ghee.
2. Do not knead the dough, it just has to be mixed unti combined adding pressure to the dough will let gluten form and the badusha will lack its layers.
3. You can prepare the sugar syrup before/ after frying the badusha but make sure that the syrup is warm while adding the badusha into it.
4. Adding a pinch dough to the hot oil helps you check the temperature of the oil. It has to hot and once you add the badusha make sure you remove the pan from the flame and set aside for 2 minutes until cooked. This will help the badusha to cook from the inside.