|Tomato Rice | Thakkai Sadam Recipe|
|Tamil Rice Recipe - Tomato Rice | Thakkai Sadam Recipe|
Recipe Source - Amma
Serves - 4 generously
Prep time - 10 mins
Serving suggestion - Potato chips, curd, potato masala
Cooked Rice - 1 1/2 cup
Oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin/ Jeera seeds - 1/2 tsp
Urad dal - 3 tsp
Channa dal - 3 tsp
Garlic pods - 3 medium chopped fine
Green chilli - 2 slit and chopped
Curry Leaves - 8 no, torn
Onion - 1 large, finely minced
Tomato - 3 large, finely chopped and mashed with hand
Kashmiri Red chilli powder - 1 tsp ( adds color & less spice)
Salt - to taste
Corriander leaves - finely chopped
1. In a kadai or heavy bottom vessel, heat oil, splutter the mustard seeds, cumin, urad dal, channa dal and saute until golden.
2. Add the garlic mince, curry leaves, green chillis and saute for 2 minutes until the raw smell of garlic goes away.
3. Tip in the onions and saute until transparent, add in a little salt to speed up the cooking.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes and mix well, add little more salt and cook covered for 3 minutes until the tomatoes are mushy.
5. Now add in the red chilli powder mix well and check for salt and spiciness. Cook covered in low flame for 2 minutes until the oil oozes out.
6. Add in the cooked rice and mix well. Garnish with corriander leaves and serve along with chips and curd.
1. Usually Amma makes the rice ahead and cools it completely. Make sure the rice grains are separate and not sticking to each other.
2. Adding kashmiri red chillis adds colour to the tomato rice and is medium spicy. You can add or reduce the amount of green chillis as per your spice tolerance.
3. For more interesting flavors you could add roasted and toasted peanuts without the skin.
4. Adding corriander leaves is a must. It adds amazing flour to tomato rice.
VEGETABLE BRINJI SADAM
SOYA CHUNKS BIRYANI
VEGETABLE BIRYANI HYDERABADI STYLE
MIXED VEGETABLE PULAO
ARISIYUM PARUPPU SADAM
THINAI PARUPPU SADAM