Chickpeas is one of my favorite from the legume family. And it sure has a constant appearance in my kitchen. Although my hubby is not a big fan of them, I make sure I don't miss it and try to do variations so that he is accommodative. I make Chickpeas Sundal, kurma, biryani and also today's recipe Chickpeas Pulao. The latter was a variation I tried few weeks back and my husband said this is the best Chickpeas recipe he had tried. Not just that this is such a simple recipe that if you have pre-boiled chickpeas then you can do it in a flash ;-)
Chickepeas/ Channa/ Kondakadalai Pulao is mild-low in spice and is a fragrant rice which will almost go with any veg stir fry, curry or simple like how I love it with little curd and pappad. Great as a lunch box recipe and a weekday meal. Since Chickpeas are loaded with protein and fiber you need not really add vegetables to get the fiber you need a day. This pulao can also be made for potluck parties for the veggies. So try this pulao for a healthy and filling meal.
Recipe Source ~ Own
Serves ~ 2 generously
Cook time ~ 25-30 mins
Chickpeas - 1 cup soaked overnight and boiled
Basmati Rice - 1 cup
Pudina - 1/4 bunch, washed, chopped
Onion - 1 large, sliced thin
Tomato - 1 large, chopped
Green chili- 3 slit
Whole spices - 1" cinnamon stick, 1/2 tsp cumin, 2 bayleaf, 4- cloves, 4-cardamom
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Ghee - 1 tbsp
Oil - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
- Soak chickpeas over night and pressure cook them the next day with little salt and 1 cup water for 3 whistles, discard the loose skin and set aside.
- Wash basmathi rice in cold running water 2 times and soak in cold water for 30 mins
- In a wide pan heat oil, ghee and add the whole spices - bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, whole jeera, once nice aroma comes add the onions. Saute until transparent
- Now add the green chili and ginger garlic paste. Saute until raw smell goes away. Now add the tomato, turmeric powder and cook covered until they turn mushy.
- Drain all the excess water in the rice and add the rice to the pan. Fry the rice with the masala prepared for 2 minutes until well combined.
- Add 2 cups water and bring it to a boil, cover with lid.
- Later keep a skillet and once it is hot transfer the pan on to it. Cook in medium flame for 20-25 mins until rice is well cooked.
Serve hot/ pack as a lunch box meal
- Green chili is what brings heat to the rice, hence adjust as per your taste
- Pudina/ mint leaves give lots of fragrance along with ghee so do not miss using them.
- You can try the same rice recipe by adding your favorite legume
- Make sure you use good quality basmati rice for great flavor
- This rice can be made as a vegeterain main with any curry to pair with
- You can add coconut milk in place of 1 cup water for more fragrant rice