I love mangoes period! Be it raw or ripe, when it comes to pickles it has to be mango for me. I love to experiment using mangoes and hence I always had an eye to do mango rice. Like me Amma is also a mango lover :-). After seeing tons of recipes online, I was not at all satisfied and hence asked amma for her version. The result was a superb tangy flavored rice which was perfect in spiciness and the balance of mango. This rice is sure a delish, I found it more tasty as the flavors mingle after few hours.
Mango Rice is perfect as a lunch box meal, variety rice or even as a main during those boring afternoons when you are done with the usual recipes. The punch of mango flavor does give this rice a unique taste and this is sure to make you drool and asking for more.
MANGO RICE RECIPE
Recipe Source ~ Amma
Serves ~ 2 generously
Prep & Cook time ~ 30 mins
Cooked rice - 1 cup
Raw Mango - 2 medium sized, shredded
Green chili - 2 sliced thinly
Ginger - 1/2 inch cut to juliens
Groundnuts - 1 tbsp toasted to garnish
Coriander leaves - few, chopped to garnish
Shredded mango - 2 tbsp
Shredded coconut - 1 tbsp
Dry red chili - 2
Garlic pods - 2
Ginger - 1/2 inch
Shallots - 2
Jeera / Cumin - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 spring
Oil - 1 tbsp
Urad dal - 1 tsp
Chana dal - 1 tsp
Curry Leaves - 1 spring
Red chilli - 1-2
Jeera - 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Hing - a pinch
Turmeric - 1/4 tsp
Salt - to taste
- Boil and cool the rice and set it aside. Grind all ingredients under to grind into a course paste set aside.
- In a large pot heat oil, add the mustard seeds, wait for them to splutter, now add urad dal, channa dal, curry leaves, whole jeera, hing, turmeric and salt to taste, saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the green chilli, ginger and saute well until raw smell goes away. Now add the shredded mango mix and combine well, cook for 2 minutes until raw smell goes away. Now check for spice, in case spice is less add little red chilli powder if necessary.
- Now add the ground paste and saute for 3-4 minutes. Bring the flame to low and add the cooked rice, mix well and combine such that the masala is evenly spread. Saute for 3-4 minutes, switch off.
- Garnish with toasted groundnuts and coriander leaves
Serve hot with pappad, curd and pickle
- Make sure the cooked rice is not mushy and cooked right so that the rice grains are separate
- I used green mango to make this rice, it has natural sour taste hence it requires a bit of spice to balance the taste
- Adding ginger compliments the mango really well so make sure you use it.
- Mango rice can be served as a variety rice or even packed as a lunch box meal. The more time it rests the more flavors mingle
If you love mangoes then do check out my instant mango pickle recipe
Happy Weekend Y'all :-) !!!