|Veg momos recipe|
|Schezwan vegetable momo|
VEG MOMOS RECIPE | SCHEZWAN VEGETABLE MOMO RECIPE
Recipe Source - Own
Makes - 10-12 momos (medium sized)
Prep time - 5 mins rest time - 20 mins
Cook time - 8-10 mins
Serving suggestion - Along with hot sauce/ chilli chutney
For the warp
Maida/ all purpose flour - 1 cup
Salt - 2 pinches
Water - as required to make a stiff dough
For the filling
Oil - 1 tbsp
Cabbage chopped - 1/4 cup
Onions chopped fine - 1/2 cup
Carrots chopped - 1/4 cup
Beans chopped - 1/4 cup
Capsicum chopped - 1/4 cup
Spring onions - 1/3 cup finely minced
Schezwan sauce - 2 tbsp
Soy sauce - 2 tsp
Salt - as required (used ajenomoto if u prefer)
1. Prepare the dough by adding flour and salt to a bowl and mix well. Use your hands to form a dough by adding water little by little by just mixing it gently and without pressure. (If you knead heard it will cause the dough to form gluten).
2. Cover the dough with a damp cloth and set aside for 15-20 mins.
3. Prepare the filling - take a skillet and heat oil to it add the minced garlic and saute them for 20 seconds until it released aroma, do not brown them.
4. To this add the minced onions and saute for 3 minutes until well cooked. In the meantime in a mixer add the vegetables in 2 batches and coarsely grind them for 10 seconds.
5. Add these vegetables to the onions and sauté until the vegetables and well cooked, it takes 3 minutes.
6. Add the sauces - soy and schezwan and salt at this stage, taste to check for spiciness and salt.
7. Sprinkle the minced spring onions and set aside to cool.
8. Check the dough and divide into small balls and set aside.
9. Using a rolling pin flatten the dough into small discs, you can use more flour for dusting.
10. Store the flattened discs in a plate and cover with a damp cloth.
11. To prepare the momos, fill the discs with 1 tbsp of filling and form cone and wedge shapes by folding the wraps.
12. Once all the momos are prepared. Grease well a steaming plate with oil. I used my idiyappam plate and idly cooker for making momos.
13. Add water to the vessel and place the greased plate on it and let the water boil for 5 minutes when it is nice and hot. Place the momos on the plate and cover the lid.
14. Steam cook for 8-10 mins until the wraps turn transparent.
15. Once done remove the lid and take the momos using a folk.
Serve hot with hot sauce / chilli chutney and enjoy.
|How to make momos at home|
|Spicy veg momos recipe|
1. To ease yourself from chopping all the veggies fine, just grind them for 10 seconds in a mixer. This speeds the whole cooking process. Feel free to use your favourite veggies, I used carrots, beans, spring onions, cabbage.
2. Do not knead the dough, if you add more pressure gluten will get formed in the dough.
3. Always cover the dough with a damp cloth while preparing the momos and even during resting the dough.
4. I used spicy schezwan sauce, you can use green chillis too to spice the filling.
5. Soy sauce and schezwan sauce already have salt in them so used salt sparingly and carefully.
6. The same recipe can be used to make chicken momos or fish momos just add cooked shredded chicken/ fish along with the vegetables.
7. Always make the warps thin so that they cook faster and not turn chewy. More filling the better.
ROASTED CORN ON THE COB