|Kothavarangai Paruppu Usili|
Kothavarangai (Cluster beans) usili is a popular vegetarian side dish which is a famous iyengar (brahmin) recipe. Amma did this side dish around a month back and I just found time to post this recipe. Its a delicious combination of vegetable and lentils in one dish. A perfect wholesome side to go with your rice or even roti. The usili base can be used for any vegetable side dish that you like.
|How to make paruppu usili|
Recipe Source - Amma
Serves - 3-4 people
Prep time - 10 mins (1 hr soaking time)
Cook time - 15 mins
Serving suggestion - along with any vegetarian curry and rice.
Cluster beans/ Kothavarangai - 30 no, ends discarded and chopped fine (1 and 1/2 cup)
Oil - 2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - 3-4
Hing - 1 generous pinch
Turmeric powder - 1/3 tsp
Salt - to taste
To soak & grind to course powder
Toor dal - 4 tbsp
Channa dal - 3 tbsp
Red chilli (dry) - 4 no
Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
1. In a bowl soak the toor dal and channa dal for 1 hour. Later discard the water completely and grind along with red chilli and fennel seeds into a course mixture.
2. In a idly plate place this course mixture and double boil for 7 minutes until cooked.
3. Crumble this mixture and set aside.
4. In a pan heat oil. Splutter the mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves and add in the finely chopped cluster beans stir fry and cook covered for 5-6 minutes until cooked. You can sprinkle water for even cooking.
5. Add in the turmeric powder, salt and the crumbled lentil mix and stir well.
6. Check for salt and serve warm along with rice and your favourite curry.
1. Make sure that the cluster beans are finely chopped, this helps in fast cooking of the vegetable. Some people boil the vegetable for even cooking, but I prefer steam cooking them as the nutrients are intact.
2. While grinding the lentils make sure there is no water and the mixture is coarsely ground.
3. For steam cooking the lentil you can also form balls and place them on an idly plate or just sprinkle them and stem cook.
4. The same recipe can be used to make vazhaipoo usili, beans usili and so on.
BANANA STEM STIR FRY
BROAD BEANS STIR FRY
GARLIC POTATO STIR FRY
BITTER GOURD STIR FRY
SPINACH SHALLOTS STIR FRY
CHOW CHOW STIR FRY
RAW BANANA PAN FRY
YAM PAN FRY