|Kerala Chicken Stew for Appam|
|Nadan Kozhi Stew with vegetables|
|Kerala Christian Chicken Stew|
KERALA CHICKEN STEW FOR APPAM RECIPE
Recipe Source - Own
Serves - 4-5 generously
Prep time - 10 mins
Cook time - 15-20 mins
Chicken with bones (skinless)- 10-15 small pieces or 500 gms
Onions - 1 large, thinly sliced
Potato - 1 medium cubed
Carrots - 3 medium cubed
Beans/ peas - 1/2 cup
Thick coconut milk - 1 cup ( 1 cup shredded coconut + 1/2 cup water)
Cashew paste - 1 tbsp
Green chilli - 4-5 (adjust as per heat tolerance)
Turmeric powder - 1 generous pinch
Pepper powder - 1/3 tsp
Garam masala - 1/3 tsp
Salt - to taste
Pudina/ mint leaves - 10 leaves finely chopped
Oil/ ghee/ butter - 1 tbsp
Cinnamon - 1"stick
Bay leaf - 1
Cardamom - 4
Cloves - 4
Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
Onions - 1 large thinly sliced
1. In a pressure cooker add the chicken, turmeric, salt, onions (1/2), carrots, peas, potato, beans, green chilli, coconut milk and 1/4 cup water. Pressure cook for 3 whistles. Switch off and let the pressure gradually settle.
2. In a kadai/ pan heat oil and add the whole spices - bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, fennel seeds and let it release its aroma. Add the onions and fry them until golden.
3. To this add the cooked chicken and coconut milk and the cashew paste. Cook in medium flame until the raw smell of cashew goes away.
4. Reduce flame to low and cook covered for 5 minutes until oil separates. Add the garam masala, pepper powder and check for salt.
5. Garnish with mint leaves and switch off.
6. Serve warm along with appam.
|Chicken coconut milk curry for appam/ idiyappam|
1. You can use ghee/ coconut oil/ refined oil/ butter for this curry.
2. Adding chicken with bones gives a lovely flavour to the curry. Add your favourite vegetables to make the curry look colourful.
3. I used cashew paste for thickness and richness to this curry.
4. Stews get their spiciness from the green chillis so do not skip them.
5. To make this chicken stew I have used a pressure cooker it makes cooking faster. If you don't own a pressure cooker follow the same procedure to make it in a skillet/ kadai.
KERALA VEG STEW
APPAM (no yeast recipe)
IDLY / DOSA
PUTTU & KADALA CURRY