|Mutton Sukka Varuval|
Chettinad cooking is well known for their taste and freshly ground spices and for this mutton chukka I used freshly made ground spice mix. I have cooked the mutton pieces to tender and then coated it in the masala/ thick paste and added the ground spices to give it that heated edge and flavour.
|Restaurant style chettinad mutton chukka|
Recipe Source - Own
Serves - 4-5 generously
Serving suggestion - white rice, sambar, rasam, appalam
Prep time - 15 mins
Cook time - 15 - 20 mins
To Cook Mutton (pressure-cook)
Mutton / Lamb - 1/2 kg
Water - 1-2 cup
Turmeric powder - 1/3 tsp
Jeera powder - 1/2 tsp
Bay leaf - 2 nos
Cinnamon - 1 stick
To Roast & grind
Fennel seeds - 2 tsp
Poppy seeds - 1 tbsp
Red chilli (dry) - 10-12 no (adjust according to heat tolerance), this adds color to the dish
Corriander seeds - 1 tsp
Peppercons - 8 nos
Garlic - 4 pods
Ginger - 1" piece chopped
For the Thokku/ Masala
Oil - 2 tbspSmall onions - 10 nos
Curry leaves - 1 spring (8-10 leaves)
Salt - to taste
1. In a pressure cooker add the cleaned chopped mutton/ goat/ lamb pieces, along with one bay leaf and 2 cinnamon stick and turmeric powder. Place the lid and weight and let it cook completely for 8-9 whistles until tender.
2. Switch off and let the pressure gradually reduce, remove the mutton pieces, and reserve the mutton stock for soups.
3. In a wide pan, dry roast all the ingredients mentioned under to roast and grind one by one. Let it cool down and make a course powder using a mixer.
4. Now in the same pan, add oil, splutter the curry leaves, add the chopped onions saute for 3 minutes until they turn brown.
5.Add in the cooked mutton pieces mix well, add the ground powder and salt, mix and cook in medium to low flame covered for 4-5 minutes until well combined.
6. Check for salt and spice and adjuct accordingly.
Serve along with white rice, rasam/ sambar and papad.
|Spicy Lamb masala|
1. Never add salt to pressure cook the meat, it helps the meat to cook faster.
2. Adjust the level of spices/ red chillis in the recipe to suit your taste. This side is medium spice and develops flavor when cooked ahead.
3. Use up the stock water to make delicious soup, please follow the link below to make mutton soup.
OTHER MUTTON/ LAMB RECIPE THAT YOU WOULD LOVE
MUTTON PEPPER FRY
MUTTON KHEEMA MASALA
MUTTON KHEEMA CUTLET
MUTTON KHEEMA PUFFS
HYDERABADI MUTTON BIRYANI