|Pachai Payaru Masiyal|
Green Gram/ Pacahai Payaru (Tamil Name) is a healthy choice of food to add to everyday diet. Most times we have fussy eaters who do not love lentils
like my husband. They are rich in Vitamin A,B,C,E & are a great source of calcium and iron. Added to that they are protein packed and aid weight loss. I have always heard my husband talk about this Amma's Pachai Payaru Masiyal, which is my MIL's staple recipe. I wish she was here today to teach me all her finger licking recipes but I have learnt things the hard way, I get a list of descriptions from my husband and I try to replicate the dish on my own. And after multiple attempts my husband gives a nod. Phew life is so hard, but trust me partience and a little effort can do wonders. About this recipe its a simple side made for chappatis/ roti but goes well for plain rice too. Its mild and packed with flavours that make this simple veg curry delicious.
|Green Gram Indian Curry Recipe|
|Green Gram Kongu Recipe|
GREEN GRAM CURRY | PACHAI PAYARU MASIYAL
Recipe Source - Own
Serves - 4 generously
Serving Suggestion - chappati / rice
Prep time - 10 mins
Cook time - 15 mins
To cook Gram
Green gram - 1/2 cup
Water - 1 cup
Tomato - 1 chopped fine
Bay leaf - 1
Cinnamon stick - 1
Jeera powder - 1/2 tsp
Grind to coarse paste
Small onions - 10 nos
Fennel seeds - 2 tsp
Ginger - 1 inch piece
Garlic - 3 pods
For the masiyal
Oil - 1-2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 spring (7-8 leaves)
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Green chillis - 3 nos slit (adjust according to heat tolerance)
1. In a pressure cooker at the soaked green gram, I had soaked it overnight, add water, bay leave, cinnamon stick, tomato and jeera powder. Pressure cook for 5 whistles or 15 minutes until tender.
2. Now using a laddle just mush the green gram for few seconds.
3. In a wide pan heat oil, add the mustard seeds, curry leaves and mix well. Grind the ingredients listed under to grind to a coarse paste. Add this to the pan, let it cook for 3 minutes until well cooked.
4. Now add the pressure cooked green gram with half the water. Add coriander powder and green chillis and salt. Let it cook for 5 minutes in medium flame. Check for spices and switch off.
Serve along with chappati or rice.
1. Make sure that the green gram is well cooked, avoid salt while cooking gram as it quickens the process and you can add a pinch of hing while tempering too.
2. Mashing the gram with a laddle adds more flavour to this curry.