Spicy Roasted Chickpeas/ roasted garbanzo beans (oven baked) are a great snack for tea time. Like I said earlier this year I am on the quest to do more healthy snacking or rather guilt free snacking. I wanted to try these oven baked roasted chickpeas as I love Channa/ chickpeas/ garbanzo beans. Mind you I do not cook or eat canned beans ever, I follow the long method of soaking beans overnight and pressure cooking them. I used the same method for this recipe here. If you have never tasted/ tried oven baked chickpeas they are crisp, light and crunchy. And my husband even rated them a five star so now you know why I am sharing the recipe with all of you. Also I must say my husband does not like chickpeas and any sort of recipe that has this ingredient he just would not eat. So such a comment from me gives me hope I can cook them up again :-)
BAKED SPICY CHICKPEAS | OVEN BAKED GARBANZO BEANS
Recipe Source - Own
Prep time - overnight soaking beans + pressure cook beans -10 mins
Baking time - 40-50 mins
1 cup raw chickpeas/ garbanzo beans
Salt - to taste
3 tsp paprika powder (you can use 3/4'th tsp red chilli powder instead)
1/3 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp garam masala
1 generous pinch hing
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp oil (use any cooking oil of your choice)
1. Soak chickpeas overnight and discard the water. Transfer to a pressure cooker with 2 cups water and cook for 5 hisses or for 10 minutes. Once done switch off and let the pressure settle down.
2. Transfer the cooked chickpeas to a kitchen towel to remove all excess water, you can also rub the chickpeas with the towel gently
3. Pre-heat oven to 400F/ 200 C and line the baking tray with parchment/ foil. In a bowl combine oil, salt, paprika, garam masala, coriander, hing, turmeric powder and mix well.
4. Add the dry chickpeas to the spice mix and toss them to get evenly distributed.
5. Now line on the prepared tray and bake for 40-50 minutes moving the chickpeas half way through. After 40 minutes keep a close watch of the chickpeas as each oven temperature and bake time would differ.
6. Once completely roasted remove tray from the oven and let it cool down completely
Enjoy with a cup of tea/coffee and store in an air-tight container to relish later.
Make sure the chickpeas are well cooked before baking them in oven. I pressure cooked for 5 hisses.
You can add pepper powder instead of red chilli powder and even use freshly minced garlic for more flavour
If using tinned chickpeas make sure you wash the beans well in running water for a minute and drain excess water and dry them on a kitchen towel for ten minutes and follow the spice mix
Use less oil, a little goes a long way. Usually while frying we require more oil but for this recipe less oil is the key. Do not add more than 1 tsp
Check out more healthy guilt free snack ideas below
Masala Roasted Makhana (Lotus seeds)
Chickpeas & green moong salad
Baked Apple Chips
Tomato & strawberry salsa