How many times we Indian's sitting in another part of the world want to go home (India) and have a good finger-licking meal from the chef that you love, Mom? So many times I have thought so, and I really miss her dishes a lot... Needless to say that almost everything that Mom cooks is upto perfection, its her years of practice that has led to perfection and served with LOVE that makes the recipe totally unique.
Well this crab curry is one of my mom's own recipe and I wanted to share it with all of you. Its a simple and spicy curry (spice level can be adjusted) that goes well with white rice and can be paired with Rasam if needed.
Must confess that this is my first try on this curry and it came out really well and hence posting it. I used blue crab, they turned into a pinkish red color after cooking. I picked this from the frozen section, and it did turn out good, so not to worry.
Prep & Cook time ~ 40 mins (25 mins defrost)
Serves ~ 2-3
Recipe Source ~ Amma
Crab- 1/2 kg (cleaned) put 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and little salt to the cleaned crab, mix well and set aside.
Onion- 1 big finely cut
Tomato- 2 finely cut
Gin gar paste-11/2 tsp
Corriander powder-1 tbl sp
Red chilly powder-1 tsp
Jeera powder-1 tsp
Aniseed/Sombu -1 tsp freshly grounded (they are light green colored similar to Jeera/cumin-see in the below pic)
Black pepper corns- 1 tsp freshly grounded
oil- 2 tbl sp
jeera - 1/2 tsp
some curry leaves
Fresh cut coriander leaves,for garnishing
- Heat oil in a hot pan, season with jeera,sombu,curry leaves.
- Add onions fry for 2 mts. till transparent. Add tomatoes saute for 3 mts.
- Add gin gar paste stir well till tomatoes get crushed. Add the corriander powder, chilly powder, jeera and sombu/aniseed powders and mix well.
- Add the crab pieces mix well. wait till water comes out from the crab. If needed add 1 cup water, mix well close the lid and cook for 6-8 mts on medium flame.
- Open the lid and see the taste. add salt and the freshly grounded pepper. mix well if the gravy is too thick add water. wait till a nice aroma comes.
- Remove from fire and garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve Hot with white rice... Happy weekend & eat well :-)