|Mixed Vegetable Subji | Chapathi side dish recipe|
My husband and I have chapathis for lunch almost 3-4 days a week and making a subji (side) to go with chapathi everyday is challenging. The challenge is because my husband does not want lentils or grains as side dish and all I am left to do is vegetable kurma, egg curry or non vegetarian sides. But with the boredom of making the usual staples one day I tried a simple mixed vegetable side that had a good variety of veggies like broccoli, yellow and red carrots, cauliflower, green and red capsicum the result was a delicious side packed with flavors. If you love costco like I do, I get this huge bag of organic mixed veggies in the frozen section. I have repeated this recipe for almost 50 times and my husband never complains eating it ;-).
|Easy mixed vegetable side dish for chapathi|
Recipe source - own
Prep time - 5 mins
Cook time - 15 minutes
Mixed vegetables - 4 cups (cauliflower, broccoli, baby carrots, capsicum)
Onion - 1 medium minced
Garlic pods - 2 minced
Oil - 1 tbsp
Red chilli powder - 1/4 tsp
Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/3 tsp
Salt- to taste (use garlic salt for flavor)
1. In a wide pan heat oil, add the minced garlic and onions saute for 3 minutes until the onions are well cooked.
2. Tip in the veggies, add salt and cook covered for 5 minutes until the veggies are nice and soft. (I used frozen veggies, if u are using fresh then sprinkle little water for the veggies to cook)
3. Add in the spice powders - red chilli, turmeric, cumin and mash the veggies at random using the spoon . Cook covered for 2-3 minutes until the flavors blend well.
4. Switch off serve warm along with roti/ chapathis.
1. adding garlic salt gives lovely flavor to this mixed vegetable side dish. You can add more heat/ spiciness by adding slit green chilli.
2. I used pre-cut frozen veggies from costco, you can use fresh veggies. Make sure to sprinkle water on the veggies and cook them covered.
Green gram coconut curry
Chickpeas & green gram salad