|Green Gram coconut milk curry|
Green gram or pachai payaru is a protein rich food, its also nicknamed the protein food for vegetarians. I usually cook green gram every fortnight as a lunch curry for chapathis. Everyone at home loves this delicious and simple curry and it so had to be blogged about. I also know that green gram is said to lower blood pressure and fill up your tummy. I have earlier shared recipes with green moong - Pacha Payaru Masiyal, Green gram mango salad, Green gram dosa, Chickpeas & green gram salad - . Lets move on to today's recipe.
|Pachai Payaru Kuruma - Chapathi side dish recipe|
Recipe Source - Own
Prep time - 10 mins
Cook time - 15 mins
Serves - 2-3
Green gram 1/2 cup - soaked in water overnight
Onion - 1 medium
Tomato - 1 medium
Oil - 1 tbsp
Bay leaf - 1
Cinnamon - 1/2 inch stick
Cardamom - 1
Clove - 1
Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
Ginger garlic paste - 2 tsp
Turmeric - 1/4 tsp
Cumin - 1 tsp
Corriander - 1 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam masala powder - 1/4 tsp
Coconut milk (thin/ thick) - 1/4 cup
Salt - to taste
Corriander leaves - to garnish
1. In a bowl soak green gram overnight (approx 8-10 hrs), Pressure cook until partially soft, I usually pressure cook it for 5 hisses. Switch off, let the pressure settle.
2. In a kadai/ pan heat oil, add bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom, clove and fennel seeds, once the aroma releases tip in the onions and saute for 2 minutes until golden.
3. Add the ginger garlic paste and give it a good mix cook until the raw smell goes away around 2 minutes.
4. Add in the tomato and salt cook until mushy. Now add the spice powders - turmeric, cumin, corriander and red chilli. Mix well and cook for 30 seconds.
5. Add the cooked green gram with little of the water from the pressure cooked gram.
6. Cover with a lid and let this cook in medium flame for around 3-4 minutes.
7. Add the coconut milk and garam masala and mix well, let the curry simmer for 3 minutes undisturbed.
8. Check for spice level switch off and garnish with corriander leaves.
Serve as a side to chappathi or rice.
1. make sure that the green gram is partially soft this makes the curry tasty.
2. You could also add tomato puree to make the curry more dense.
3. Use homemade coconut milk for amazing flavor.
Pacha Payaru Masiyal,
Green gram mango salad
Green gram dosa
Chickpeas & green gram salad