|Butterless Tres Leches Cake Recipe|
4 years it is :-). So thankful to God for bringing us together to grow together, and through it all we strive to be better each day and through each joy and through each struggle. We may not be perfect and never strive to be perfect as a couple but each day we strive to be a better person for us. Over the years I have learnt to cherish, understand, love and make him happy.
So this year I was bit different in planning for a cake, I started late (not my usual self i know) but I was sure of what I wanted the minute I decided the cake. I have seen this cake many a times but never tasted it but I have seen many rave about this cake so much that I just wanted to have it. I made a decadent Tres leches cake ( 3 milk cake) I wonder who created this recipe is it Mexican or Latin American however this is one to die for cake (not literally) but in a sense it is too hard to resist. Mind u loads of eggs and milk and no butter so if you are making this for a crowd better to make sure that none are lactose intolerant. Usually tres leches cake is made as a sheet cake and generous 3 milk is poured over the cake and soaked up before being topped with whipped cream and maraschino cherries. The fatless sponge it an excellent and best recipe I have ever tried, its so good that you can almost adapt it for any sponge cake or base as a layered cake. Leave it to your imagination that just a good recipe and you can do so many variations with this sponge, its is so good. Have I said enough? ;-) but trust me no matter what there has to a tres leches in your life and you will come back to thank me :-). We happily cut the cake and forgot to add candles :p and the cake vanished as we wanted to pass on few pieces to friends and I forgot to get a decent pic of the sliced cake :-/ but I know you won't punish me :-) so here comes the recipe to the bestest tres leches I say....
|Tres leches Celebration cake recipe|
|Tres leches celebration cake recipe|
|Best Tres leches cake recipe|
BEST TRES LECHES CAKE RECIPE
Recipe Source - adapted from here
Prep time - 15 mins
Bake time - 25 mins
Makes - 3 layer 6" cake (as pictured) or 2 layer 8" cake
Serves - 8 people
FATLESS SPONGE CAKE RECIPE
Eggs - 3 large (white & yolk separated)
Granulated sugar - 1 cup
Vanilla extract - 2 tsp
All purpose flour - 1 cup
Baking powder - 1 tsp
Milk - 1/2 cup ( I used 2%)
1. Grease a 6" cake pan or 8" cake pan with spray (or butter) and dust with flour roll the baking tin to spread the flour evenly and tap of the excess. Pre-heat oven at 350 F for 10 minutes.
2. Separate the egg whites and yolk into two bowls. In another bowl combine the flour and baking powder and mix well for the baking powder to have spread evenly.
3. Beat the egg whites until soft peaks in medium speed for 3-4 minutes. Gradually add sugar little by little and beat until stiff peaks form for 3-4 minutes.
4. Now add one yolk at a time and beat for a minute for a minute or so. Add in the vanilla and combine.
5. Alternately add in the flour and milk and beat until combined after each addition.
6. Quickly tip the cake batter in the baking tin ( do not delay as you want the airy batter), bake in center of oven for 25 mins until a skewer inserted in center of the cake comes clean.
7. Once done remove the cake from the oven and with the tin let it sit on the cooling rack for 15 minutes.
8. Once the cake in cooled down invert the pan and release the cake to cool further until it gets to room temperature.
3 MILK SYRUP RECIPE
Condensed milk - 1/2 tin
Evaporated milk - 1/2 tin
Milk / cream - 1/2 tin ( I used the same condensed milk tin, u can use milk or cream based on how rich u want the syrup to be)
Mix all 3 ingredients into a bowl and using a spoon mix them together.
SOAKING THE SYRUP ONTO THE SPONGE CAKE
1. Cut the cake into layers using a serrated knife into 3 layers or how many ever layers you'd like, I make a 3 layer 6" tall cake.
2. Place each layer in a separate plate and using a spoon pour in the mixture into each sponge. Do not over do else you would not be able to handle the sides to layer the cake.
3. Freeze the layers for the syrup to be absorbed by the sponge. I freeze for an hour.
WHIPPED CREAM FROSTING
Heavy whipping cream - 1 cup
Granulated sugar - 3-4 tbsp (depending how sweet you would like it to be)
Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
1. Prior to making the whipped cream freeze the mixing bowl, beater and make sure that the cream is also refrigerated for at least 30 minutes.
2. When you are ready start beating the cream in minimum speed and gradually increase and while doing so slowly add the sugar tbsp at a time and the vanilla.
3. after 3-4 minutes of whipping you will find the cream changing texture (thickening) keep a careful watch and stop at a point when you see wrippes on the cream while you move the beater. Stop
4. You can now use the whipped cream to frost the cake.
1. Place the bottom layer of the sponge and brush with more of the milk mixture, now top with a generous dollop of whipped cream.
2. Place the second layer and repeat the first step, do the same for the third layer too.
3. Now frost the cake sides and top with the first layer of cream and freeze the cake for 15 minutes.
4. Later frost with the second layer of cream and freeze again to set for 15 minutes.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE LACE | CHOCOLATE COLLAR
Things u need
Dark baking chocolate - 8 oz or 200 gms
Double boiler - 1 bowl and a saucepan
Parchment paper - measure the side of the cake with the height too, I used the baking tin to do this.
1. Chop the dark chocolate and place in a bowl, bring water to a boil in a saucepan and place the bowl on top.
2. Wait for the chocolate to melt around 1-2 minutes.
3. Remove the bowl from the saucepan and let it cool until easy to handle.
4. Tip the melted chocolate into a piping bag and pipe random designs on the measured parchment.
5. Let the parchment sit on the counter top for ten minutes.
6. Remember to make sure that the cake is cold, I put the frosted cake in the freezer for 20 minutes.
7. Later on the cold cake and while the chocolate is still half set wrap around the cake and freeze again for 10 minutes with the parchment around until fully set.
8. Once the chocolate lace is set, peel the parchment carefully from the chocolate wrap. You Can make swirls with buttercream and top with some maraschino cherries. Continue to keep the cake in refrigerator till you plan to cut it.
|Casual click just before the cake cutting ;-)|
|Casual click - sorry for the bad lighting this is the only picture I have of the sliced cake|
1.While doing chocolate curls make sure to use tempered chocolate / compound chocolate/ baking chocolate, the kind used for baking or chocolate making. Use dark chocolate for bold curls. I used ghirardelli dark baking chocolate.
2. Consider the temperature and climate while doing this cake, If Its too humid make sure to freeze the cake/ refrigerate it while assembling. The sponge will not get hard to firm when you do this.
3. This sponge cake recipe is so versatile and can be used to make any kind of layer cakes, or for cakes that require a sweet syrup.
4. The original recipe calls for whole milk for the sponge but I used 2% milk and skipped cream in the milk syrup and used 2% milk yet the cake tasted so good and perfect in sweetness.
5. Traditionally alcohol is used in the syrup base, but you can use artificial extracts too. I just used plain vanilla.
OTHER CELEBRATION CAKES