The past 2 weeks have been super busy for me. Back to back guests over the weekend and I was busy cooking up sweets and dishes for them. This Rava Laddu was one of the sweets I made for a lovely uncle who came to visit us. Really his visit came to us by surprise and it was so unplanned. I had a tin of condensed milk in the refrigerator and trust me sometimes condensed milk can be a lifesaver :P when you have sudden guests at home. You can make pedas, burfis, payasam, kheers, cakes and even this rava laddu. So make sure you always have a tin of condensed milk at home ;-) and yes I made rava laddus with condensed milk. These Rava laddus are firm and not crumbly like the no condensed milk version. Texture and taste develops the next day, so make them ahead. Since they have milk (condensed milk) they last for upto 5-6 days in an air-tight container in room temperature.
RAVA LADDU USING CONDENSED MILK RECIPE
Cook & Prep time - under 20 mins
Makes - 10 laddus
Storage - Store in air-tight container in room temperature for upto 5 days
White rava or sooji - 1 cup
Condensed milk - 1/2 cup
Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
Milk - 2-3 tbsp
Cashew - chopped 1 tbsp
Raisins - 1 tbsp
Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Heat ghee in a kadai fry the cashew, drain with a slotted spoon and set aside. In the same pan fry raisins until they puff up, drain and set aside.
- In the same pan with the remaining ghee under medium-low flame roast the rava/sooji/semolina for 8-9 minutes (this is necessary as the rava needs to cook else the laddu will have a drainy taste).
- Now add the cardamom powder, cashew, raisins, milk and add the condensed milk. Mix well such that everything combine well. Switch off
- When the mixture is still warm grease your hands and make balls in even sizes, set on greased plate to cool down
Store in air-tight container and enjoy for upto 5 days, these laddus taste great the next day
- Dry roasting the rava/ semolina well before adding the other ingredients, else the laddu will taste grainy
- Make sure to shape the laddu when the mixture is still warm and able to handle