I love cakes! Period. Be it those creamed ones or simple plain snack cakes I am all game. Usually I love to have cakes as a snack rather than a dessert, only exception is when they are served with a scoop of icecream ;-). I am not sure why thought. I think for me cake is more of a snack or a tea time treat or mid morning hunger prank rescue. So the other day I was in this cake prank and wanted to bake something fresh and fragrant. I found this recipe so interesting as it uses wheat flour and jaggery along with toasted coconut. Just when I read that I started to dream the marriage of flavours in my mind, vola within minutes I started to prep for the cake.
Vegan coconut cake as it is called does not use any butter, egg or dairy (milk/curd). The cake is super rich and so filling that just one piece I felt was totally rich and satisfying. Great way to serve tea for the family or friends. The cake is super moist and I just felt if vegan bakes were so delicious may be I must take an oath to vote for them quite often. Since the cake gets its flavour from coconut milk and shredded coconut do use freshly done coconut milk and shred freshly cut coconut, this sure adds more flavour to the cake. The cake browned quite well on the outside and the inside gets its colour from jaggery, I used a bit of sugar too to be sure of the sweetness once its baked. But you can easily skip sugar if you want to. Nevertheless this is one of the best tasting vegan bakes I have laid my hands on.
VEGAN COCONUT CAKE RECIPE
Recipe Source ~ Curryleaves
Prep time ~ 15 mins
Bake time ~ 25 - 35 mins
Makes ~ 6" cake
Serves ~ 10
Whole wheat flour- 1 and 1/2 cups
Baking soda-3/4 tsp
Baking powder-1 tsp
Salt- 1 pinch
Toasted coconut-1/2 cup (see notes)
Grated or powdered jagerry / Brown sugar- 1 and 1/4 cup( loosely packed)
Granulated white sugar (powdered) - 2 tbsp
Coconut milk-1 cup
Vegetable oil-1/3 cup
Vanilla Extract - 1 tsp
White Vinegar- 1 tsp
- Preheat oven to 180 Deg C.Lightly grease the cake tin with oil and line it with parchment paper.Keep aside
- In a large mixing bowl,combine together alal dry ingredients - whole wheat flour,baking soda,baking powder,salt,toasted coconut and grated jagerry, sugar (if using). Mix until everything is combined
- In a another bowl combine all wet ingredients - coconut milk,vegetable oil,scraped vanilla and vinegar.Pour this into the prepared dry ingredients.
- Mix gently with a wooden spatula,just until combined.( Do not over mix)
- Pour this batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 25 - 30 mins until a skewer inserted in centre comes clean
- Make sure you use fresh coconut milk and freshly shredded coconut for more flavour, you can add coconut essence if you have
- To toast coconut in a medium heat on a non stick pan dry roast the shredded coconut for 2 minutes until fragrant and all the wetness disappears. You will find the coconut changing color this is the right time to remove from heat, once this cools down add to the dry ingredients. Reserve some to be topped later on cake
- If you don't have jaggery use powdered sugar / brown sugar
- In case u want to do muffins with this recipe adjust the baking temperature and bake for 15-18 mins
Linking this recipe to an event Vegan Thursday hosted by Priya Suresh aks To be part of this lovely group do visit here.