I love cakes and all the simple kind. A perfect spongy simple snack cake with a cup of coffee or tea is my kind of snack. I have tried many such snack cakes and posted in my blog like - Custard marble cake, Vanilla marble cake, Eggless butterless sponge cake, Dates and nuts cake and so on. When my dear friend Sangeetha Priya posted this recipe of Cardamom cake / Tea kadai cake that too using a pressure cooker, I was so excited and wanted to try it. And me being me somehow kept postponing the idea so today as Sangeetha celebrates her birthday, a group of us bloggers planned to do a virtual treat for her by doing a recipe from her space and posting it on her birthday in our blogs. She is a lovely friend and blogger who is to me like a child although she has 2 cute kids. Very caring, friendly and although we have not conversed frequently I can say she is a lovely person to talk to.So you can guess what I made, her very own Cardamom cake :-) it was simply fabulous, on the flip side I used an oven instead of the pressure cooker and the result was it was a super moist cake filled with the lovely cardamom flavor. What was even more pleasing was the aroma of cardamom all over the kitchen as the cake was getting baked. Today being a Saturday husband was home and we both cut the warm cake and gulped 2 pieces :-P don't ever be like us ok wait till it cools down to enjoy. The cake tastes even more superb when its completely cooled.
Happy Birthday Sangeetha wishing you lots of health and happiness throughout the yr :-)
Verdict - Super moist and flavorful cake, I felt the cake was so soft like sponge ball :-) thanks Sangeetha we really enjoyed this cake, this recipe is sure a keeper
CARDAMOM FLAVORED SPONGE CAKE RECIPE
All Purpose Flour - 2 cups
Eggs - 3
Unsalted butter - 3/4'th cup or 12 tbsp in room temperature
Whole Cardamom - 5 nos
Powdered sugar - 1 cup
Milk - 3/4'th cup
Vanilla extract - 2 tsp
Baking powder - 2 tsp
Salt - a pinch
- Dry roast cardamom in a dry pan for 2 minutes, discard the skin and grind it with 1/4 cup sugar to a fine powder, set aside
- Separate egg white and yolk, set aside. Sift maida or all purpose flour, baking powder, salt and cardamom powder together, set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together, to this add one yolk at a time and combine well. Now add the vanilla extract and combine well.
- Add the dry ingredients and milk alternately to the creamed butter sugar, starting with flour and ending with milk.
- Now whisk the egg whites until frothy in a separate bowl. now combine it with the cake batter and gently fold.
- Add to a greased cake tin and place in center of pre-heated oven. Bake at 350 F or 180 C for 50 mintues until a toothpick inseared in center comes clean
- Remove the cake tin from the oven and set it on cooling rack with the pan for 15 minutes and later remove the cake from the pan, wait until it comes to room temprature and cut into pieces to enjoy
Serve along with coffee/ tea as a snack
- You can even add rose essence for a unique flavor to the cake batter
- If you like to pressure cook this cake then place in a pressure cooker 40 minutes do not use any water or sand or cooker weight. Just place a plate inside the cooker and place the cake tin in the center cover with cooker lid and cook in medium- low flame
- To separate egg white from yolk make sure it is refrigerated it is easier to separate them