|Broccoli Masala Stir Fry|
Broccoli is a wonderful super food and most times we shy away cooking broccoli in an Indian recipe. I was one such person who never wanted to cook broccoli but although I loved to cook with them for their nutrient value. Chasing all odds I picked up broccoli on my grocery shopping last week, I wanted to try a simple yet easy recipe to start with. I made this simple Broccoli masala stir fry that turned out to be so good and easy too. Usually broccoli is one vegetable that is tasteless and making a recipe with broccoli has to be something that is flavorful, and flavor from the other ingredients that will get absorbed in the vegetable. Broccoli masala is a dry stir fry dish that goes well as a side to rice and dal or as a side dish for chappathis.
|Broccoli Indian Recipes|
|Broccoli Indian Recipe | Broccoli side dish recipe|
Recipe Source - here
Prep time - 5 mins
Cook time - 20 mins
Serves - 2 generously
Serving suggestion - Rice, curry or chappathi
Broccoli florets - around 30 (250 gms)
Oil - 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Minced garlic - 1 tbsp
Minced green chilli - 2 medium chopped fine
Onion - 1 medium finely chopped
Besan/ chickpea flour - 1/2 cup
Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/3 tsp
Asefotedia/ hing - 1 pinch
Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
Corriander powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil - 2 tsp
Lemon juice for drizzling
1. Wash the broccoli florets in cold water for 2 minutes drain them completely and pat dry using a kitchen towel to remove all traces of water.
2. In a wide pan heat oil, splutter the cumin seeds, minced garlic and green chilli, saute for 10 seconds, add in the chopped onions, saute until transparent.
3. Add in the broccoli florets and saute for few seconds, cover a lid and cook for 4 minutes in medium- low flame.
4. Open the lid and give it a good mix add in the salt and mix well. cook covered for 3 more minutes.
5. Prepare the besan mix by combining besa, salt, asefotedia, cumin, red chilli ,turmeric powder, oil and mix well.
6. Sprinkle this powder over the broccoli and cover to cook for 2 minutes.
7. Open the lid and sprinkle little water to make sure the besan gets coated on the broccoli evenly. Cover and cook for another minute.
8. Switch off and serve warm with rice and curry or chappathi.
|How to make broccoli side dish|
1. Make sure that the broccoli is well cleaned and completely dry before making this dish.
2. The original recipe uses lemon juice and mango powder, I have skipped both in this recipe.
3. Make sure that the onions and garlic are not browned but just cooked. Make sure that the flame is in medium-low though out the cooking of this dish.
4. You can spice up the dish by adding more or less green chilli/ red chilli powder.