When you have so much left over bread and not wanting to make breadcrumbs then this is the recipe that you must try. A simple quick to do dessert that is great when served warm just out of the oven. I have used vanilla custard, mixed fruit jam & coconut milk in this recipe. All flavours would sure not match in the mind but the taste is simply awesome. You have to try it to love it. You can skip jam and use nutella or any kind of spread/ even orange marmalade if you love that. Skip raisins and cherries and use nuts instead. Any combination would be just right. I have not used butter at all in this recipe you can call it fatless but technically they will be fat from the jam and the bread.
Serve this warm bread custard pudding with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and it will sure take this lovely dessert to heaven.
EGGLESS CUSTARD BREAD PUDDING RECIPE
Recipe Source - Own
Serves - 4 generously
Prep time- 10 mins
Bake time - 40 mins
Bread slices - 8 (brown/ white)
Mixed jam - 2 tbsp (aternately use nutella/ peanut butter)
Coconut milk - 1 cup warm
Milk - 1 cup and 1/4 to mix the custard pwoder
Custard powder - 1 tbsp
Sugar - 2 tbsp (i used brown)
Raisins & cherries dried - 2 tbsp
1. Grease your baking dish with oil/ butter. Pre-heat oven to 200C for 10 mins.
2. Apply jam/ any spread on the bread slices (i did cut the ends).
3. Cut into diagonals to get four triangles. Place these slices on the baking dish, pour the warm coconut milk on the bread such that the bread is nice and moist and soaked, do not add too much, make sure the coconut milk is just warm and not too hot else it will make the bread soggy.
4. Now prepare the custard. Take milk to a saucepan let it heat up, milk custard powder to the 1/4 th milk and add the the boiling milk stirring continuously add sugar and mix well.
5. Now pour the hot custard on the bread slices and sprinkle the raisins & cherries.
6. Place in the centre of oven bake for 30 minutes and then reduce the temperature to 180C and bake for 10 more minutes.
7. Once done remove from oven and serve warm.
1. You can alternately use butter instead of jam or use nutella/ marmalade
2. Instead of raisins use nuts/ chocolate chips.
3. You can use white/ brown bread for this recipe I used a combination of both.
4. Make sure the coconut milk is just lightly warm and not to hot