I love fresh seasonal fruits, this year its been raining strawberries in the place I live. I love to source for ingredients that are readily available and try recipes to blog about them ;-) call me crazy that's understated. With a hectic weekend, Monday started off with all the agenda and to me cooking is therapeutic and with fruits I never say no. Today I wanted to kill time usefully hence churn'd out this simple dessert with pureed strawberries, condensed milk, milk and agar agar, the result was a simple delightful pudding that is free of eggs. If you are not sure what to make with strawberries this season, now you know :P. Its definitely a must try if you are a strawberry
-holic or pink lover ;-).
Long ago I tried using gelatine and feel sick in my stomach. Later I gotto know that gelatine was made of animal bones and I was shocked. Never did I ever go near gelatine again. China grass (vegetarian counterpart to gelatine) is the new gelatine that is safe and accepts well with me, a great gelling agent in puddings or custards. From a personal experience I felt that china grass gives a more light feel to the dessert compared to gelatine.
EGGLESS STRAWBERRY PUDDING USING CHINA GRASS/ AGAR AGAR
Recipe Source - Own
Serves - 6 medium servings
Prep time - 15 mins
Chill/ setting time - 4-6 hrs
Milk - 1 cup (I used 3%)
Water - 1 cup
Condensed milk - 1/2 cup
Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
Strawberry extract - 1 tsp
Strawberry puree - 1/2 cup (of 10 strawberries)
Pink food colour - few drops (optional)
Sugar - 2 tbsp or more (adjust according to sweet tooth)
Agar agar/ china grass threads - 5 gms (nearly 3 tbsp chopped)
1. In a saucepan bring to boil, milk, condensed milk, sugar and vanilla.
2. In a saucepan heat water and sprinkle the chopped agar agar, boil under medium flame for 4-5 minutes until completely dissolved
3. Now pour the agar agar mixture to the milk mixture and heat further for 2-3 minutes under medium flame.
4. Now add strawberry puree, strawberry essence and pink food colour (if using), mix well switch off
5. Now pour this mixture into serving bowls and let it sit until it comes to room temperature.
6. Once cooled down you will notice that the pudding is set and firm to the touch
7. Keep in the refrigerator to set for minimum 3-4 hours to over night.
8. Serve topped with cut strawberries/ chocolate shavings.
1. Do not grease pudding bowls, they need to be dry
2. Always strain pureed strawberries to remove the seeds
3. You can make the same pudding with any fruit of your choice like blueberries, pomegranate, apples or even cardamom flavoured, vanilla bean flavoured
4. Do the entire cooking process in medium to low flame. Chopping the china grass helps it to dissolve faster while boiling and avoid lumps in the pudding.