|Tiramisu Dessert Cake Recipe|
Birthday's are always a special day for us. Ever since childhood we have cut cakes, shared gifts and cook up a feast at home. Coming from a family that always celebrated birthdays, my husband on the other hand never remembers having a cake for his birthday. This came as a shock to me :-) during the initials days that we were getting to know each other. How can someone not celebrate their birthday without a cake? however his birthdays have never been the same ever since we got together. Every year I make sure to whip up something special for him, but over the years his expectations and ideas of a birthday cake has only become complicated. Usually I am this type who plans special cakes months ahead, since last year I have become a last minute baker. Blame it totally on my husband's expectation of a cake :P. Talking about celebration I do have to admit that my absence of blog also meant that I missed my 3'rd blog anniversary, I did even get emails from some really sweet followers who asked me about my blog anniversary which was on 25'th June 2015. I felt really guilty for not celebrating my blog anniversary and thought I'd combine my husbands birthday and make this Tiramisu cake.
|Tiramisu Layer cake Recipe | Tiramisu Cake Recipe|
|Tiramisu layer cake|
|Lady finger recipe | Tiramisu lady fingers recipe|
LADY FINGER RECIPE | HOW TO MAKE TIRAMISU LADY FINGERS
Recipe Source - JOB slightly modified
Prep time - 15 mins
Bake time - 8-9 mins
Makes - 25 ladyfingers
Large eggs - 5
Fine granulated white sugar - 2/3 rd cup
Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
Cake flour - 1 cup
Salt - 1/3 tsp
1. Line a cookie sheet with parchment and prepare a icing bag with a round nozzle (3 cms) and set aside.
2. Separate the egg white and yolk in two separate bowls. Cover with a cling wrap and set aside for it to come to room temperature.
3. Start beating the egg yolks with 1/3 cup sugar using a electric whisk in high speed until it turns pale yellow (8-10 mins). Tip in the vanilla and cake flour to the yellow mixture but do not mix it yet.
4. Beat the egg white with the remaining sugar in medium speed for 5 minutes until soft peeks are formed. Fold the egg white mixture to the yellow mixture gently until combined.
5. Pre-heat oven to 400F/ 200C for 10 minutes in the mean time fill the icing bag with the batter and pipe the cookie batter onto the parchment in 3 inch long strips giving 1 inch spacing between the cookies.
6. Once this is ready bake in center of oven for 8-9 minutes. You will notice the edge of the cookies turning brown.
7. Switch off the oven and remove the baking tray, let he cookies cool for a minute and start removing them from the parchment quickly using a spatula. Do not miss this step else the cookies will get stuck to the parchment.
8. Let all the cookies cool down completely. You can refrigerate or freeze them until use.
- I felt the cookies had more egg taste to them, increase the vanilla extract to 2 tsp.
- Make sure that u remove the cookies from the parchment after a minute else they will get stuck and will be hard to remove.
- I freezed my cookies for 2 days before use. Do it ahead of time. These lady fingers can be used to serve icecream or make any kind of desserts.
- I did not use the cookies to layer the cake, you can use it if you want to make tiramisu as a dessert.
- If you do not have cake flour use 1 cup plainflour minus 1 tbsp and replace the 1 tbsp with cornflour, mix the flour well.
|Tiramisu Celebration cake recipe|
|Tiramisu Layer cake recipe|
TIRAMISU LAYER CAKE RECIPE | TIRAMISU DESSERT CAKE RECIPE
Recipe - Own
Makes - 6" tall cake with 3 layers
Prep time - 15 mins
Bake time -
Assembly time - 30 mins
Butterless Vanilla Sponge cake recipe
Eggs - 3 large (white & yolk separated)
Granulated sugar - 1 cup
Vanilla extract - 2 tsp
All purpose flour - 1 cup
Baking powder - 1 tsp
Milk - 1/2 cup ( I used 2%)
1. Grease a 6" cake pan or 8" cake pan with spray (or butter) and dust with flour roll the baking tin to spread the flour evenly and tap of the excess. Pre-heat oven at 350 F for 10 minutes.
2. Separate the egg whites and yolk into two bowls. In another bowl combine the flour and baking powder and mix well for the baking powder to have spread evenly.
3. Beat the egg whites until soft peaks in medium speed for 3-4 minutes. Gradually add sugar little by little and beat until stiff peaks form for 3-4 minutes.
4. Now add one yolk at a time and beat for a minute for a minute or so. Add in the vanilla and combine.
5. Alternately add in the flour and milk and beat until combined after each addition.
6. Quickly tip the cake batter in the baking tin ( do not delay as you want the airy batter), bake in center of oven for 25 mins until a skewer inserted in center of the cake comes clean.
7. Once done remove the cake from the oven and with the tin let it sit on the cooling rack for 15 minutes.
8. Once the cake in cooled down invert the pan and release the cake to cool further until it gets to room temperature.
Tiramisu cake filling recipe
Mascapone cheese - 1 cup
Full fat cream - 1 and 1/2 cup
Icing sugar - 1/2 cup
Vanilla extract - 1 - 2 tsp
Coffee liquor - 2 tbsp (can be skipped)
1. Whip the cream in an ice cold bowl and whisk (electric) adding icing sugar little by little until the cream is softly whipped up.
2. Mix in the vanilla or coffee liquor into the whipped cream.
3. In another bowl whisk the mascapone cheese for a few seconds (do not overmix else it will curdle)
4. Tip in the whipped cream little by little over the mascapone and mix until combine gently. Check for sugar. Keep it in the freezer and use when required.
Warm water - 1/2 cup
Instant coffee - 2 tsp
Vanilla - 1/2 tsp
Sugar - 1 tbsp
Mix in the coffee, sugar and vanilla to the warm water and set aside to come to room temperature.
Chocolate Ganache Recipe
Dark chocolate chopped 60% cocoa - 1/2 cup
Heavy cream - 1/2 cup
Using double boiler method melt the chocolate and remove it from the stove. Add in the cream and mix well. Wait for it to cool down and come to room temperature.
Lady finger cookies
1. Cut the cake into 3 layers of 1/2 inch thickness.
2. `Line the cake tin used to bake the sponge with parchment.
3. place the first layer of the sponge. Spread with the coffee syrup evenly, just enough to wet the sponge, do not over do it.
4. Pour in 2 tbsp of the ganache and spread evenly. Keep in the freezer for 5-6 minutes to set.
5. Layer the tiramisu cream over the sponge and let it set in the freezer for 10 minutes before going ahead with the next layer
6. Repeat step 3, 4 & 5 until all the 3 layers of sponge are set.
7. Once all layers are done Sieve cocoa powder over the top layer of tiramisu filling and top with the chocolate curls.
8. Freeze the cake for minimum 5 hours. I kept it overnight. Once the cake is fully set and cold.
Remove the cake from the cake tin, transfer to a cake platter/ cake stand and remove the parchment.
9. Place the lady finger cookies around the cake and tie a ribbon around it.
10. I set the cake in the refrigerator for an hour before the cake cutting :-)
|Tiramisu Layer cake recipe|
1. I made the lady finger cookies 2 days ahead and freezed them. I also freezed the cake overnight and defrosted it in the refrigerator for an hour before cake cutting.
2. If you live in hot temperatures I suggest that you keep the cake freezed overnight.
3. I did not use coffee liquor but you can use it as per your preference. Traditionally tiramisu is made with egg yolk filling, I did not want to make it will eggs since the sponge and the lady fingers had egg in them.
4. Instead of the sponge the coffee soaked ladyfingers can be used in between the tiramisu filling.
CHECK OUT MY OTHER CELEBRATION CAKES
Butterless Tres Leches cake