|Chickpeas Coconut milk Curry|
|Channa Curry - Side dish recipe for chapathi|
CHICKPEAS COCONUT MILK CURRY | CHANNA CURRY FOR CHAPATHI
Recipe Source - Own
Prep time - 10 mins
Cook time - 15 mins
Serves - 2-3 generously
Serving suggestion - Along with chapathi, roti or rice/ pulao
Chickpeas/ channa - 1/2 cup soaked overnight & pressure cooked for 5 hisses
Oil - 1 tbsp
Bay leaf - 1
Cardamom - 1
Clove - 1
Cinnamon stick - 1/2 " piece
Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
Onion - 1 large finely chopped
Tomato - 2 medium mashed
Green chilli - 2 long slit
Ginger garlic paste - 2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1 pinch
Coriander powder - 4 tsp
Jeera/ cumin powder - 1 tsp
Garam masala - 1/4 tsp
Coconut milk - medium thickness - 1/4 cup
Salt - to taste
Coriander leaves - 1 tbsp to garnish, chopped
1. In a wide pan heat oil add in the whole spices - bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom, clove and fennel seeds, once they release aroma add in the onions and green chilli.
2 Sauté for 2-3 minutes until they are cooked and fully transparent. Add the ginger garlic paste and let it cook until the raw smell goes away (2-3 minutes)
3. Add in the mashed tomato and add 1/2 salt and cover the lid, let it cook for 2 minutes until mushy.
4. Now add all the spices, turmeric, coriander, cumin and mix well. Now the base of the curry is thick add the pressure cooked chickpeas and water (1/2 cup).
5. Cover the lid and let it cook for 3-4 minutes. Now add in the coconut milk and reduce the flame to medium-low and cook for 3 minutes covered.
6. Check for salt and spices, garnish with coriander leaves, garam masala, give it a good mix and switch off.
7. Cover with lid for 10 minutes and later serve it with rice or chappathi.
|Channa / Chickepeas Curry Recipe|
1. I usually soak the chickpeas overnight (12 hrs) and pressure cook them the next day with just water (1/2 cup chickpeas I add 1 cup water) for 5 hisses/ whistles. Some people add salt while pressure cooking but I don't this lets the chickpeas cook well.
2. You can alternately purée the tomato and add this to the curry base.
3. You could add cubes potatoes to this curry if you have picky eaters who don't like chickpeas/ channa.
CHOLE MASALA (BHATURE SIDEDISH)
KERALA KADALA CURRY
BOILED EGG KURMA