You must be knowing by now that I am a band wagon for simple snack cakes, I love to try and experiment with snack cakes. To be honest I had this bad experience with apple in a cake, I must admit that the last time I made an apple upside down cake it was a disaster since I used a spring form pan and the apple juices got spread in the oven. Silly me did not realise this or rather plan this before doing the recipe. That said I seriously loved the mild flavors of apple & cinnamon in this cake that is so well hugged by a soft spongy cake. Impatient me jumped to cut the cake and had the cake falling apart, but I managed to cut few decent slices and here we go ;-) so don't be in a hurry like me. If you are someone who does not like the Fruit/ Plum cakes for Christmas then you can give a go to this simple yet delicious cake, it tastes great the next day.
JEWISH APPLE CHRISTMAS CAKE RECIPE
Prep time - under 10 mins
Bake time - 50-60 minutes for 8" cake and 60-90 mins for 10" large bundt pan
Serves - 10-12 pieces for 8" cake
All purpose flour/ maida - 1 and 1/2 cup
Sugar - 1 cup
Baking powder - 1 and 1/4 teaspoon
Salt - generous pinch
Vegetable oil - 1/2 cup
Eggs, beaten - 2
Orange juice - 1/4 cup
Vanilla extract - 1 teaspoon
Apples - 2 medium peeled, cored and chopped
Ground cinnamon - 2 teaspoon
Sugar - 2 tablespoons
1. 1. Preheat oven to 350 F/ 175 C. Grease and flour one 8 inch tube pan. Combine the ground cinnamon and 2 teaspoons of the sugar together, chopped apples and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar. Stir in the vegetable oil, beaten eggs, orange juice and vanilla. Mix well.
3. Pour 1/2 of the batter into the prepared pan. Top with 1/2 of the sliced apples and sprinkle with 1/2 of the cinnamon sugar mixture.
4. Pour the remaining batter over the top and layer the remaining sliced apples and cinnamon sugar.Bake at 350 F/ 175 C for 50 to 60 minutes.
5. When a skewar inserted in centre comes clean remove from oven and along with the cake tin place on a cooling rack.
6. After 15 minutes remove the cake from pan. Once the cake completely cools down cut and serve
Cooks Wisdom -
I used an 8" inch tube pan and halfed the original recipe.
Take care not to cut the cake when it is warm, it can tend to break since it has pieces of apple in the center
In case you do not like apples simply skip them and use almonds, chocolate chips or raisins
I used an OTG (Oven toast Grill) to bake this cake hence I baked it at 160 C for 50 minutes. Each oven bakes at a different temperature so make adjustments accordingly
You can use rum extract, almond extract or apple juice, pineapple juice