Vazhaipoo / Banana Flower is a large reddish blossom that grows along with bananas and interestingly every part of the banana plant is used for cooking recipes in the Indian cuisine. Much as banana flower is popular I must admit that cleaning them is sure a challenge, but after you cook them you can be sure that it was worth all the effort. I must say that banana flower is very good for women in particular and has many medicinal values which are sure to be considered while you plan to cook them up.
Vazhaipoo poriyal is a mild tasty vegetarian stir fry that goes well as a side to rice and curry. This is a basic recipe that you can try if you are cooking vazhaipoo / banana flower for the first time. Take note that I have used one entire banana blossom for this recipe.
VAZHAIPOO PORIYAL | BANANA FLOWER STIR FRY
Recipe Source - Own
Serves - 3-4
Makes - 2 cups of stir fry
Cook time - 8 mins
Prep time - 30 mins
Vazhaipoo/ Banana florets (cleaned & chopped) - 2 cups
Grated coconut - 1/4 cup
Green chilli - 3, chopped into medium size
Onion - 1 large, chopped fine
Curry leaves - 1 spring
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Urad dal - 1 tsp
Ginger - 2 tsp grated
Oil - 2 tsp
Salt - as required
Turmeric powder - 1/3 tsp
Sambar powder - 1/4 tsp
How to clean Banana Flower
1. Clean the banana flower by opening the outer covering or leaf one by one and you will notice the pale yellow stems, remove them and collect them in a plate. Repeat this process until you reach the core of the flower.
2. Each flower will have 3 parts that needs to be observed. A small papery layer which is on the outside and one stem like thin layer which is inside the flower. Both the papery part and the stem like part needs to be removed.
3. Prepare a bowl with water and add buttermilk to it (around 1/4 cup)
4. Once you have cleaned and collected all the florets, take a few in batches and chop them and soak them in the prepared bowl of buttermilk (this helps in the florets to maintain its color), set aside to be used later
1. In a sauce pan add 1 cup water bring it to a boil and add the drained chopped banana flower. Also add the sambar powder to it and let it cook for just 3 minutes in high flame. Switch off and drain the excess water if any
2. In a wide non stick pan add oil, splutter the mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves, green chilli, grated ginger and mix well. Now add the onions and let it cook for a minute and saute every 20 seconds.
3. Now add the cooked banana flower and add turmeric powder and salt. Mix well and check for spice level
Serve along with white rice and curry
1. Never chop the banana flower and keep idle, once they are chopped they change color or discolor so make sure you soak them in buttermilk.
2. You can apply your hands with little oil while trying to clean the banana flower to avoid your fingers and nails to darken
3. I did not add salt while boiling the banana flower to speed the cooking process
4. This stir fry is less spicy you can increase more spice if you would like