I tried out this recipe after a chat with one of my Indian friend. Got my own idea and did it, trust me it was so easy, a great evening snack without much work to do. You can do variations of this with different patties inside - some suggestions would be chicken, veg, potato or just onions with tomato.
Ingredients I used:
Ready-made puff pastry, I used jus-rol puff pasty (they are amazing and lightly salted, which is perfect)Jus-rol
1 or 2 eggs
1 tsp oil
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp turmeric (optional)
pinch of salt
How I did it:
1. Defrost the puff pastry for 20 mins or depending on the instructions given in the pack
2. boil the egg for approximately 10 mins
3. Pre-heat Oven and start to make the masala so that once you are done it will be perfect to bake them
4. In a pan heat 1 tsp oil and add the finely chopped onions and stir till they turn light brown, now add the turmeric, salt and pepper and stir well.
5. Cut the egg or you can put the entire egg in 1 puff, choice is yours. Cute the pasty onto a square shape and full it with just 1 spoon onion masala and place the egg in the center.
6. Try to fold the pastry diagonally and for the pastry to stick in the center just dab it with some egg wash or water.
7. do some egg wash on top of the pastry for some glossy finish, you could even add some sesame seeds on top for a perfect bakery effect.
8. place the pastry on a foiled tray and put it in a pre-heated oven at 180 degree/ fan grill or simply follow the instructions in the pack
- defrosting the puff pastry is necessary
- let the masala and egg cool down before setting it in the oven, if its done when hot the pastry would be sticky and stretch
- preheat oven and just follow the instructs in the puff pastry pack