Weekends and non veg recipes are something very common in our house-hold. I make it a point to try few book-marked recipes and last week-end was no exception. I tried out the Chettinad Chicken Masala recipe posted by my dear sis and blogger Divya Pramil. Truly I was so intrigued by this recipe as it was authentic and also Divya's jaw-dropping pics. I know my pics aren't in par with Divya's still ask me why I posted? well its so so so good. Simple to do but requires a little patience. I followed the recipe without any changes and it turned out so well. Well it was a perfect dish for our weekend lunch, I served it along with Methi ghee rice.
Verdict - We enjoyed it so much, the spice level is perfect and goes well with any pulao recipe / white rice and curry
Recipe Source ~ here
Prep time ~ 15 mins
Cook time ~ 20-25 mins approx
Chicken - 1 whole baby chicken/ 500 gms chopped chicken with bones
Shallots / small onions - 7
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp (fresh)
Salt - as required
Gingely oil - 5 tbsp
Coriander leaves few to garnish
For the Masala powder
Dry red chilli - 6 (depending on spice tolerance)
Cumin / Jeera whole - 3/4 tsp
Coriander seeds - 1 tbsp
Fennel seeds - 1 tbsp
Peppercorn - 1/4 tbsp
- In a non-stick pan dry roast the ingredients under masala powder for 2 minutes one after the other - red chilli, coriander peppercorns, cumin/jeera and fennel seeds. Once it cools down, powder them in a mixie, you will get 2 and 1/2 tbsp of masala powder
- Blend the onions to a fine paste and set aside, also prepare the fresh ginger-garlic paste and set aside.
- In the same non-stick pan heat oil and add the onion paste, let it cook for 3-4 minutes until the raw smell goes away, now add the ginger-garlic paste and cook for 2 minutes, to this add the chicken pieces and toss them so that they are well coated with the masala and cook for 2 minutes so that the flavor absorbs.
- Add the fresh spice powder, salt and mix well and after 2 minutes add 1 cup water and cook in medium-low flame covered with a lid and cook for 15 minutes in low flame.
- Once the chicken in cooked open the lid and cook for 2-3 minutes now the chicken is cooked in a thick paste
- Check or salt and spice level and if the chicken in cooked
Serve hot garnished with coriander along with rice and dal
- Use chicken with bones as this adds more flavor to the recipe
- Using fresh ginger-garlic paste is ideal for best flavor
- I used a non-stick pan to avoid burning
- If you like your chicken to have more curry add additional 1 cup water and then simmer