Today is a special day, we a group of blogger buddies planned to celebrate a virtual Birthday of our dear and lovely friend Divya Pramil who blogs at youtoocancook. She is one of my closest buds when it comes to blogging, cooking and also she is a younger sister to me. I have had the privilege to meet her in person few months ago and she is as beautiful as her personality. I really want to thank God for giving me such a lovely person in my life and also for my blogging platform without which I am not sure how we would have met. Divya is a wonderful and most famous blogger whom I am sure you would know and needs no introduction. She is fantastic in all that she does, although she is younger to me I admire her a lot as a blogger and as well as an individual. She is way to humble to accept compliments and there are very few friends who really stay with you. Divya is one of those who has helped me in my blog journey and also a sister with whom i share loads, apart from blogging too.
As I said we wanted to celebrate Divya's Birthday by cooking, clicking and posting one of her famous recipe and publishing it together. I have lagged back in the publishing part since I was not keeping to well. But somehow I wanted to post the recipe on her special day. Divya sis hope you are having a wonderful day and this is a good surprise for you. Hugs and wishing you many many more happy returns of the day.
CRAB FRY RECIPE
Recipe Source ~ here
Cook & Prep time ~ 25 mins
Serves ~ 3-4
Serving Suggestion ~ white rice, rasam/sambar
Crab - 10 (I used small sized crabs)
Large onion - 1 (finely chopped)
Large Tomato - 1 (finely chopped)
Lemon - 1 tablespoon
Red Chili Powder - 1 and 1/2 tsp
Kashmiri Red chili powder - 1 tsp (for color)
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 spring
Salt - As per taste
Mustard - 1/4 tsp
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
Oil - 2 tbsp
- Wash the crab pieces with salt and water well. If need you can add turmeric also to clean. I bought the crab cleaned and cut but if you intend to clean the crab remove the hard shell and clean it.
- Place a wide pan on the stove once its hot add oil once the oil heats up add the mustard seeds and wait for them to splutter. Now add the curry leaves and chopped onions and saute well until the raw smell goes and onions are cooked well and turn brown.
- Now add the ginger-garlic paste and let it cook well until raw smell goes, this will take 2-3 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes and let it cook covered for 3 minutes.
- Add the spices - turmeric, red chili powder, kashmiri red chili and salt. Cook until the oil separates from the masala. This is very important
- Once oil separates add the washed crab and mix well until all the crab are well coated with the masala. Now add 1-2 cup water and cook with a covered lid on medium flame for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from flame and add the lemon juice
Serve hot along with white rice, rasam and sambar
Make sure the crab is well cooked. I used blue shell crab so as it cooks it turns orange, this is a good indication that the crab is cooked well
This is a light curry and can be had with rice itself.
I altered the recipe by adding curry leaves and kashmiri red chili powder for extra flavour and colour
I made the curry mild in spice by reducing the red chilli powder unlike the original recipe, you can add more spice if required